Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Willetta Moore Photograph Album, 1913-1930
- Smith, Willetta Moore, 1894-
- Willetta Moore Photograph Album
- 1913-1930 (inclusive)19131930
- 0.2 cubic foot, including 139 photographs, (2 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 269
- The Willetta Moore Photograph Album consists of images assembled by Moore during her student years at Oregon Agricultural College in 1913-1916. Willetta Moore, from Eugene, Oregon, graduated in 1916 with a degree in home economics and taught foods and nutrition at Oregon State.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Willetta Moore, from Eugene, Oregon, attended Oregon Agricultural College from 1913 until 1916, when she earned a BS degree in home economics. After working for the Eugene School Board, she was an instructor in foods and nutrition at Iowa State College and earned an MS degree in foods and nutrition from Iowa State in 1925. Moore returned to Oregon and served as an instructor in foods and nutrition from 1925 to 1932 and again in the mid-1940s. Moore married John E. Smith in 1932; she died in Corvallis in 1977.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Willetta Moore Photograph Album consists of images assembled by Moore during her student years at Oregon Agricultural College in 1913-1916. The album includes snapshots and several photographic postcards; a few of the images have captions and dates. The images reflect her social activities with other students and include many interior views of Waldo Hall, where she resided, and campus views from Waldo Hall. Of special note are images of outdoor pageants and processions; outings, cookouts, and picnics, including an excursion to Newport; canoeing; Junior Flunk Day; women playing tennis; a July Fourth parade float; and graduates at commencement activities. The album includes many images of women students, including one of a group of women wearing bandages on their upper arms apparently after receiving vaccinations with the caption "preparedness".
This collection also includes a book co-authored by Moore, Food Purchasing for the Home by Ruetta Day Blinks (Iowa State College) and Moore published by J.B. Lippincott in 1930 as one of Lippincott's Home Manuals.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Willetta Moore Photograph Album (P 269), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The photograph album and book were transferred to the Archives by the OSU Foundation on behalf of her son-in-law, Charles McDougald.
Some of the photographs published in the book and many other images of foods taken and assembled by Willetta Moore are part of Harriet's Collection (HC 2340). Other photographs of the Oregon Agricultural College campus, students, and student activities are part of many collections in the OSU Archives. The Archives' collections include many photograph albums and scrapbooks assembled by Oregon Agricultural College students during the 1910s including the Marshall S. Wright Photograph Album (P 276), A. Freeman Mason Scrapbook, Francis and Lois Wilson Neer Photograph Album (P 206), and Thayer Raymond Collection.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Food--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Grocery shopping--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Home economics students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Buildings.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
Form or Genre Terms
- Photograph albums.