Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Ben Hur Lampman papers, 1933-1952
Overview of the Collection
- Lampman, Ben Hur, 1886-1954
- Ben Hur Lampman papers
- 1933-1952 (inclusive)19331952
- 0.68 cubic feet, (1 legal document case; 1 slim legal document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 2450
- Papers, primarily correspondence, of Ben Hur Lampman (1886-1954), a reporter and editor for the Oregonian newspaper in Portland, and Oregon's poet laureate from 1951 until his death. The collection also contains a small quantity of biographical material, ephemera, and writings.
Oregon Historical Society Research Library
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ben Hur Lampman was born in Wisconsin in 1886. When he was young, he worked in his father's print shop. Later, he moved with his family to Gold Hill, Oregon, where he worked for the local newspaper. In 1916, he moved to Portland to become a reporter for Oregonian. In 1920, he published an account of the 1919 Centralia Massacre. In 1921, he was appointed to the editorial page. His stories and essays also appeared in national magazines such as the Saturday Evening Post. In 1951, he was appointed the Oregon poet laureate. Lampman died in 1954.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers of Ben Hur Lampman consist almost exclusively of correspondence, 1933-1952. The collection also contains a small quantity of biographical material, ephemera, and writings.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Ben Hur Lampman papers, Mss 2450, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Restrictions on Use
The Oregon Historical Society owns the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from copyright owners.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Newspaper editors--Oregon
- Lampman, Ben Hur, 1886-1954--Correspondence
- Oregonian (Firm)--Employees
Form or Genre Terms