Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Roy L. Williams papers, 1936-1960
- Williams, Roy L.
- Roy L. Williams papers
- 1936-1960 (inclusive)19361960
- 0.55 cubic feet (1 box and 1 expandable envelope)
- Collection Number
University of Wyoming, American Heritage Center
American Heritage Center
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Ave.
- Access Restrictions
There are no access restrictions on the materials for research purposes, and the collection is open to the public.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Roy L. Williams was a forester and conservationist. Born in South Dakota in 1896, Williams joined the U.S. Forest Service as a Ranger at Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota. A staunch conservationist who concerned himself with overgrazing and fire control in the national forests, Williams rose through the ranks of the U.S. Forest Service, eventually serving as U.S. Forest Supervisor at Wyoming's Bighorn National Forest during the 1940s and 1950s. He retired from the U.S. Forest Service as the Regional Fire Control Officer in Denver, Colorado. During the late 1950s, Williams worked for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations as a fire control advisor to the Government of Venezuela. Roy L. Williams passed away in 1963.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection contains two photograph albums of Williams' pictures of Wyoming's Shoshone National Forest and Yellowstone National Park from 1936 to 1938. The collection also holds one folder of correspondence documenting his tenure as U.S. Forest Supervisor at Bighorn National Forest in Wyoming. A scrapbook documenting Williams' service in the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Venezuela is in the collection as well.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Item Description, Box Number, Folder Number, Collection Name, Collection Number, American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Forest conservation -- Venezuela.
- Forest conservation -- Wyoming.
- Forest fires -- Prevention and control -- Venezuela.
- Forest fires -- Prevention and control -- Wyoming.
- Forest management -- Venezuela.
- Forest management -- Wyoming.
- Forest rangers -- Wyoming.
- Forest reserves -- Wyoming.
- Forests and forestry -- Venezuela.
- Forests and forestry -- Wyoming.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- United States. Forest Service.
- Bighorn National Forest (Wyo.)
- Shoshone National Forest (Wyo.)
- Yellowstone National Park (Wyo.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Photograph albums.