Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Ben Stein papers and oral history interview, 1920-1972
- Stein, Ben, approximately 1890-
- Ben Stein papers and oral history interview
- 1920-1972 (inclusive)19201972
- 0.94 cubic feet (2 boxes) plus 2 audio cassettes
- Collection Number
- 1916 (Accession No. 1916-001)
- Tape-recorded interview of an immigrant from Russia concerning life in Seattle
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
No restrictions on access.
- English, Russian
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Born around 1890 in the Russian-controlled Belarusian city of Minsk, Ben Stein arrived as an immigrant to the United States in 1915. Initially landing in Seattle, he soon traveled east across the country and tried his hand at a series of professions. Stein never returned to Russia, but instead chose to settle in the Seattle area for the remainder of his life. After working in the luggage business for a time, Stein began to sell insurance in Seattle with his cousin, M.N. Ketzlach. Though his work as an insurance agent provided him with his primary source of income, the true focus of his energy was his involvement with Seattle's Jewish community. Stein served as the financial secretary for the Seattle branch of the Workmen's Circle, an organization that provided fiscal, cultural, and educational support to Jewish citizens in the area.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains general correspondence, academic work, and journals that belonged to Ben Stein, as well as a tape-recorded interview with Stein in 1972 that discusses his life and his time with the Workmen's Circle organization.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Listen to the audio recording of this interview on the Libraries Digital Collections site.
Creator's literary rights not transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Donated by Ben Stein, May 9, 1972.
Processing completed in 2016.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series 1: Ben Stein PapersReturn to Top
Record Books of Stein and Ketzlach Insurance Co.
Series 2: Ben Stein InterviewReturn to Top
Audio Interview with Ben Stein, Part 1
Audio Interview with Ben Stein, Part 2
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Stein, Ben, approximately 1890- --Archives
- Stein, Ben, approximately 1890---Interviews
- Stein and Ketzlach Insurance Company
- Workmen's Circle/Arbeter Ring--History--Sources
- Washington State Jewish Archives (University of Washington) (curator)
- Washington State Jewish Archives (University of Washington)