Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
“Gertie” Autograph Book, 1891-1896
- Buckhous, Gertrude, d. 1931
- “Gertie” Autograph Book
- 1891-1896 (inclusive)18911896
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Mss 180
- Attributed to Marguerite Gertrude Buckhous, the University of Montana’s first professional librarian and an alumnus of the University. This collection consists of one autograph book, a bound volume of reflections and well wishes from friends. Includes several dried and pressed clover leaves.
University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana--Missoula.
- Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Marguerite Gertrude Buckhous was born in her family home south of Missoula on an unknown date. She became the librarian at The University of Montana in September 1902 and continued until her death in 1931. She first joined the University when it opened in the old Willard School as a student in its preparatory department in 1895. She received her bachelor’s degree from the University in 1900 and did some graduate work in 1903 and 1915. She attended the University of Illinois in 1900-1901 for additional training in library science. In 1921, she received an M.A. in Social Science from the graduate school at Columbia University. She was the University of Montana’s first professional librarian. She died following surgery complications May 18, 1931.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of one autograph book, a bound volume of reflections and well wishes from friends. Includes several dried and pressed cloverleaves. The autograph book is attributed to Marguerite Gertrude Buckhous. She was the only student named Gertrude to be enrolled in the Collegiate Department of The University of Montana in 1895, and there are numerous autographs from young women from prominent Missoula families who also enrolled at that time.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], “Gertie” Autograph Book, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana--Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Women college students--Montana--Missoula--Autographs
- University of Montana (Missoula, Mont.)--Collegiate Dept.
- University of Montana (Missoula, Mont.)--Students--Autographs
- University of Montana—Missoula--Alumni and alumnae
- University of Montana—Missoula--Students--Autographs
Form or Genre Terms
- Autograph albums--Montana--Missoula