Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
College of Science Videotapes, 1991-1997
- Oregon State University. College of Science.
- College of Science Videotapes
- 1991-1997 (inclusive)19911997
- 0.3 cubic foot, including 9 videotapes, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- FV P 084
- The College of Science Videotapes consist of two productions prepared for the College that highlight academic programs and research activities and recordings of the lectures on global climate change presented in the 1991 Biology Colloquium at Oregon State University.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Science instruction has been a part of Oregon State University's curriculum since the founding of the school. Through the early 1930s, the science departments were part of the School of Agriculture and the School of Basic Arts and Sciences. The School of Science was created by the State Board of Higher Education in 1932 as the one school in the state higher education system authorized to grant degrees in science. The first Ph.D. degrees were confered in 1935. The school's name was changed to the College of Science in 1974.
Stella Coakley of the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology served as chair of the organizing committee for the 1991 Biology Colloquium. This Biology Colloquium has been held at Oregon State University annually since 1939.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The College of Science Videotapes include two video productions prepared for the College that highlight academic programs and research activities and video recordings of lectures presented as part of the 1991 Biology Colloquium at Oregon State University.
The two video productions are To See the World in a Grain of Sand (1993) and By the Beautiful Sea (1997). To See the World in a Grain of Sand (FV P084:1) was produced by Antares Videomedia, Ltd. It is 17 minutes long and highlights the academic programs and research activities of the College of Science. By the Beautiful Sea (FV P084:2) was produced by Mary Lee and Sid Nolan and includes highlights of an Oregon coast tour given by Geosciences Department faculty for OSU Foundation donors (the Council of Regents) in June 1997.
The remainder of the collection (7 tapes) consists of recordings of lectures presented as part of the Biology Colloquium on global climate change at Oregon State in 1991. The colloquium focused on the biological aspects of climate change. Speakers and topics were: Robert Charlson on marine phytoplankton as indicators of global change; Robert Dickinson on predictions, uncertainties, and biological feedbacks associated with global climate modeling; Christopher Field on the effects of increasing carbon dioxide on terrestrial ecosystems; Peter Glynn on the responses of coral reefs to global warming events; Simon Levin on problems of scale in ecology; Pamela Matson on trace gas emissions relating to climate change; and David Wake on worldwide amphibian decline. The recordings also include introductions by Stella Coakley and George Keller.
All of the videotapes are VHS format.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
College of Science Videotapes (FV P 084), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The videotapes were transferred to the Archives in several accessions from 1994 through 2004.
Additions to the collection are expected.
Additional materials pertaining to academic and research programs in science are available in the College of Science Records (RG 024) and Photographs (P 084). The Geosciences Department Records (RG 208) provide information about the department's faculty and academic programs. Records pertaining to the annual Biology Colloquium are part of the Phi Kappa Phi-OSU Chapter Records. The Chemistry Department Motion Picture Films (FV P 205) consist of films of the General Chemistry course at Oregon State College taught via interinstutitional television in the late 1950s.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Climatic changes--Environmental aspects.
- Geology--Oregon--Pacific Coast.
- Science--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Pacific Coast (Or.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Charlson, Robert J. (creator)
- Coakley, Stella Ann Melugin. (creator)
- Dickinson, Robert E. (Robert Earl), 1940- (creator)
- Field, Christopher B. (creator)
- Glynn, Peter W., 1933- (creator)
- Keller, George H., 1931- (creator)
- Levin, Simon A. (creator)
- Matson, P. A. (Pamela A.) (creator)
- Nolan, Sidney (creator)
- Nolan, Mary Lee. (creator)
- Wake, David B. (creator)
- Biology Colloquium (52nd : 1991 : Oregon State University) (creator)
- Oregon State University. Dept. of Geosciences. (creator)