Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Gardiner Mill Company records , 1868-1923
- Gardiner Mill Company (Gardiner, Or.)
- Gardiner Mill Company records
- 1868-1923 (inclusive)18681923
- 20 linear feet, (17 containers and 130 volumes)
- Collection Number
- Bx 183
- The Gardiner Mill Company Store in Gardiner, Oregon sold manufactured goods and foodstuffs on the Oregon coast. The collection consists of business records, including correspondence and account records.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Because of its location on the coast, the Gardiner Mill Company Store in Gardiner, Oregon was able to stock many manufactured goods or foodstuffs that people were not able to get at home. It was considered a main retail and trade center for the area.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection includes business records of the Gardiner Mill Co., Gardiner Mill Store and the A. M. Simpson & Company. Most of the information is in original volumes. Also included is a large section of correspondence from the company's later years.
Volumes 1-19 are journals, 1864-1881, including Gardiner Mill accounts and accounts of A. M. Simpson & Co. with the Gardiner Mill Store. Volumes 20-27 are Gardiner Mill Store ledgers, 1866-1880. Volumes 28-35 are Gardiner Mill Store accounts receivable, 1873-1883. Volumes 35-37 are Gardiner Mill Company accounts receivable, 1876-1878. Volume 38 is a Gardiner Mill Company ledger, 1879-1883. Volumes 39-63 are Gardiner Mill Company Store daybooks, 1876-1884. Volumes 64-128 are Gardiner Mill Company Store daybooks and journals, 1890-1906. Volumes 129-130 are Gardiner Mill Company Market blotter, 1899-1901. The Gardiner Mill Company general correspondence, 1907-1923, is filed in 17 boxes.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Gardiner Mill Company records|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Company stores--Oregon--Gardiner--Records and correspondence
- Lumber trade--Oregon--Gardiner--Records and correspondence