- Bet Chaverim
- Bet Chaverim: Community Synagogue of South King County records
- 1989-2006 (inclusive)19892006
- 0.72 cubic feet (2 boxes plus 1 oversize folder)
- Collection Number
- 6102 (Accession No. 6102-001)
- Bylaws, board minutes, calendars, newsletters, and other records of Bet Chaverim, formerly known as the Community Synagogue of South King County, Washington
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In February 1989, a small chavurah (group) held a Shabbat service for the south King County Jewish community to discover if there was sufficient interest to establish a reform synagogue in this area. More than 100 people overflowed the tiny East Kent Library for that meeting. On 15 April 1989, The Community Synagogue of South King County was formed under Roy Golub's leadership.
After a couple of years the religious school held a contest to re-name the synagogue. The winning name was Bet Chaverim (House of Friends).
From the start, Bet Chaverim has been a family-oriented synagogue, with quality education for children and adults, observing Jewish traditions and rituals, and providing a friendly and diversified community.
Through the years, Bet Chaverim has moved to different locations and is currently located at the Saltwater Unitarian Church, in Des Moines, Washington.
Bet Chaverim has had four rabbis since their inception. The first rabbi, Ted Stainman, served as rabbi for ten years, retiring in 2005. Rabbi Zari Weiss and then Student Rabbi Amy Rossel served their community for two years each. Rabbi Rick Harkavy then led their community from 2009 - 2015, and Rabbi Emily Meyer began in July 2015.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains bylaws, board minutes, calendars, newsletters, newspaper clippings, cemetery records, Union for Reform Judaism membership documents, and miscellaneous general records of Bet Chaverim synagogue in Des Moines, Washington. Additionally, this collection also contains the records (correspondence, agendas, minutes, etc.) of the Bet Chaverim Sisterhood Board.
Other Descriptive InformationReturn to Top
Forms part of the Washington State Jewish Archives.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Creator's literary rights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Annual Meeting Minutes||1995-2002|
|1||Brochures and 10th Anniversary Book||1999 and undated|
|1||Annual Budgets, Proposed Budgets, and Reports||1999-2004|
|1||Calendars||October 2001-November 2002|
|1||Certification of Incorporation, Washington State||7 April 1989|
|1||IRS Non-Profit Designation and Exemption||2002|
|2||Wooden Sign to be under UU Sign||1994|
|2||Stock Pass Through - Solomon Smith Barney||2000-2004|
|2||UAHC Application Documents||1993-1994|
|2||UAHC Biennials, National and Pacific Northwest||2001-2003|
|2||UAHC MUM (Maintenance of Union Membership)||2001-2004|
|2||US Postal Service - Postal Box||2001-2003|
|2||UU Rental Agreements||1996-1999|
|2||Bet Chaverim Sisterhood||1992-2001|
|Oversize Folder||Bet Chaverim Sisterhood certificates||1995-2006|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Jewish families--Washington (State)--Des Moines
- Jewish religious education--Washington (State)--Des Moines
- Jews--Washington (State)--Des Moines
- Judaism--Washington (State)--Des Moines--Customs and practices
- Rabbis--Washington (State)--Des Moines
- Synagogues--Washington (State)--Des Moines
- Bet Chaverim (Des Moines, Wash.)--Archives
- Bet Chaverim (Des Moines, Wash.)--Membership
Form or Genre Terms
- Business correspondence
- Records (Documents)
- Washington State Jewish Archives (University of Washington), (host institution)
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Washington State Jewish Archives (University of Washington)