Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Lila Eccles Brimhall photograph collection, 1893-1962
- Lila Eccles Brimhall photograph collection
- 1893-1962 (inclusive)18881962
- 156 Photographs
- Collection Number
- The Lila Eccles Brimhall photograph collection contains family portraits, portraits of various performers, and scenes from various stage productions.
University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Lila Eccles Brimhall was born in Ogden, Utah on November 26, 1892. She was raised there by her parents, David Eccles and Bertha Marie Jensen Eccles.
Her father held half-ownership in the Ogden Opera House. Lila is reported to have attended many productions there as a child and was able to watch and visit with the actors backstage.
On August 28, 1917 Lila married Dean R. Brimhall, of Provo, Utah. He had a long career with the federal government, including service from 1940 until his retirement in 1951, as Director of Research form the Civil Aeronautics Administration. The couple had two children, a son McKeen, and a daughter, Frances. McKeen was killed in action in World War II. Frances marries Hal W. Osborn and had five children: Rachel Osborn Sander, Kristin, Joan, Kimberly, and Dean.
She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1914 from the University of Utah which she attended from 1910 to 1914. During that time she studied under Maud May Babcock, professor and head of the Speech Department.
She received a diploma in 1916 from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City after course work in 1915 and 1916. After further study there several years later, she also received a certificate from the institution in 1929.
She also took summer courses at Columbia University in 1917, 1933 and 1942, and at the University of London in 1937.
She received a Master of Arts degree from the University of Southern California in 1939.
An Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree was posthumously awarded to her in 1980 commencement ceremonies at the University of Utah.
A member of the faculty of the University of Utah from 1929 until her retirement to emeritus status in 1960, she held the following ranks: Part-time Instructor in Speech (1929-1930); Instructor (1931); Assistant Professor (1948-1955); Associate Professor in Speech and Theater (1956-1960); Associate Professor Emeritus in Speech (1930-1980); Associate Professor Emeritus in Theater (1967-1980).
Throughout her career she presented numerous lectures and speeches around the state of Utah.
While attending the University of Utah she was an active member of the University of Utah Players and performed in several student productions. She toured Utah and the western states as a member of the Moroni Olsen Players in the late 1920s. She performed in productions with the Pasadena Players in California. During the course of her faculty career she appeared frequently in the theaters on the campus of the University of Utah. She also performed in productions of other Utah colleges.
A portrait of Lila Eccles Brimhall painted by Alvin Gittins was unveiled during a ceremony at the University in 1977. It now hangs on campus in the lobby of the Pioneer Memorial Theater.
Lila Eccles Brimhall died in Salt Lake City, Utah on April 3, 1980.
1892: Born in Ogden, Utah
1914: B. A., University of Utah
1914-1916: Attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York City
1917: Married Dean R. Brimhall
1929: Part Time Instructor, Speech Department, University of Utah
1931: Full Time Instructor, Speech Department, University of Utah
1939: M. A., University of Southern California
1948: Assistant Professor, Speech Department, University of Utah
1952: Received Tenure, University of Utah
1956: Associate Professor, Speech and Theater Department, University of Utah
1960: Retired Tenure, University of Utah
1967: Named Associate Professor Emeritus of Theater, University of Utah
1974: Dean R. Brimhall died
1980: Lila Eccles Brimhall died on April 3
1980: Received an Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts Degree, University of Utah
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Lila Eccles Brimhall photograph collection consists mainly of portraits of her, other actors and actresses, professional associates, and scenes from plays in which she appeared during her long theater career. The plays included range from children's plays from her early years in Ogden, Utah to professional theater in Salt Lake City during her later years. A number of photographs of groups with which she was associated area also included.
The collection was received with, and compliments manuscript material concerning her that are the addendum to "The Paper of Dean R. Brimhall." (The Manuscript collection of her husband, Ms 114.)
The Majority of the photographs are resin coated black and white prints.
Subject Photographs Number
- Academy of Dramatic Art, American 13-16, 18, 38, 39[?]
- Adams, Dorothy 31
- Adix, Vern 79, 81
- American Academy of Dramatic Art 13-16, 18, 38, 39 [?]
- Anderson, Betty Jo 72, 75, 77, 83, 85
- Arms and the Man 47
- As You Like It 48-50
- Babcock, Maud May 32
- Ballif, Algene 107, 111, 112, 114
- Ballif, Marsha 133
- Blithe Spirit 51-64
- Brimhall , Lila Eccles 1-30, 47, 48, 52-79, 81-83, 85, 107-114, 121-126, 128, 129, 134, 135, 137, 139, 140. 142, 144, 149, 151-156
- Brimhall, Vicki 83
- Cannaday, Dick 56-58
- Chase 135
- Chase, Ilka 69
- Children's Play 135
- Christensen, Janet 53, 54
- Circle, The 65-68
- Constant Wife, The 69-71
- Corn is Green, The 72-77
- Daglish, Bob 137
- Drake, Alfred 33
- Dramatic Art, American Academy of 13-16, 18, 38, 39[?]
- Dramatic Club, University of Utah 42-44
- Dramatic Club, Weber 41
- Eccles, Bertha Marie Jensen 30[?], 135[?]
- Eccles, David 46
- Eccles Home 45, 46
- Family Photo 30
- Fashion 78-82
- Folland, Harold 65-68, 72, 74, 77, 83, 101, 110
- Francis, Arlene 34
- Gibson. Bernice 77
- Group photograph 41-46
- Hamer Children, three 135
- Hansen, Nathalie 56-58
- Hazel 39
- Heugly, Arch 73, 79, 80, 110, 113
- Hollywood 35
- Howe, Pershing 71
- I Remember Mama 83-85
- Jarvis, Boyer 98-100, 102, 103
- Kuhn, Paul 135
- Levine, Florence 69
- Lilies of the Field 24, 31
- Little New Moon 86-90
- Madwoman of Chaillot 91-93
- Mason Theater 24
- Maw, Herbert B., Governor 125, 126, 129
- Midgely, Marsha Ballif 133
- Midsummer Night's Dream 94
- Moroni Olson Players 24, 31, 35, 36, 63, 142
- Mrs. Bumpstead Leigh 95, 96
- Nelson, Gordon R. 35
- Nelson, Harry 71
- New York City 13-16, 18, 38, 39
- O'Conner, Red 123
- Ogden, Utah 20, 23, 24, 31, 45, 46, 135, 136, 140
- Oklahoma 97
- Olson, Moroni 24, 31, 35, 36, 63, 142
- Pasadena Players 86-90
- Patterson, Allie 135
- Patterson, Maude 135
- Plays A-E, Scenes from 47-77
- Plays F-R, Scenes from 78-114
- Plays S, Scenes from 115-124
- Plays T-Z, Scenes from 125-134
- Plays, Scenes from Unidentified 135-156
- Portraits A-Z 31-38
- Portraits of Lila Eccles Brimhall 1-29
- Portraits, Unidentified 39, 40
- Postcard Printing Paper 42-44
- Potting Shed, The 98-103
- Price, Margaret 70
- Promised Valley 33, 37
- Rassmussen, Frank 97, 142
- Rivals, The 104, 105
- Rogers, Tom 83
- Romeo and Juliet 106-114
- Russon, Aileen 72, 74, 75, 77, 79, 82, 121,
- Russon, Stan 65, 66, 68, 72, 75, 79, 80, 82, 109, 113
- Ryan, Duane 51, 56, 57, 58, 61
- Sandy 115, 116
- Scenes from plays A-E 47-77
- Scenes from plays F-R 78-114
- Scenes from plays S 115-124
- Scenes from plays T-Z 125-134
- Scenes from unidentified plays 134-156
- Scofield, John 83, 85
- Shining Hour, The 117-120
- Silver Whistle 121, 122
- Smith, Kathryn 51
- Solid Gold Cadillac 123
- Sorority, Theta Upsilon 46
- Spenser, [?] 135
- Steffan, Paul 37
- Sun Up 124
- Sufferagette, Lila the 19
- Swan, Katherine 135
- Swan, Louise 135
- Theta Upsilon Sorority 46
- Thomas, Wanda Clayton 100, 102
- Turner, John Hastings 24, 31
- Twelfth Night 125-132
- University of Utah 137
- University of Utah Dramatic Club 42-44
- University of Utah Sorority 46
- Utah, Herbert B. Maw Governor of 125, 126, 129
- Utah, University of
- Warrington, Jane 38
- Weber Dramatic Club 41
- West Virginia 25
- White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia 25
- Wilson, Dorothy 69, 70, 72
- Wilson, Robert Hyde 122
- Wingless Victory 133
- Witness for the Prosecution 134
- Wright, Carol Lyn 51, 52, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Collection Name, Collection Number, Box Number, Folder Number. Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, The University of Utah.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Collection arranged topically.
Processed by Robert Westby and Ashley Arave in 1989. Processed by Peter Schmid and Rebecca Walker in 2003.
Audio-visual materials were transferred to the Lila Eccles Brimhall audio-visual collection (A0316).
See also the Dean R. Brimhall papers (MS 0114).
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Family portraits, portraits of various performers, and scenes from various stage productionsReturn to Top
Portraits of Lila Eccles Brimhall
Portraits of Lila Eccles Brimhall
Portraits of Lila Eccles Brimhall
Scenes from Plays A-E
Scenes from Plays, F-R
Scenes from Plays "S"
Scenes from Plays T-Z
Scenes from unidentified plays
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Actors--United States--Photographs
- Theater--United States--History--Photographs
Form or Genre Terms
- Photographic prints
- Portrait photographs