- Mater Engineering, Ltd.
- Mater Engineering Tribal Consultation Files
- 1920-1995 (inclusive)19201995
- 10 cubic feet, (10 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Mater Engineering
- The Mater Engineering Tribal Consultation Files were generated and assembled by Mater Engineering, Ltd. and pertain to the company's consulting work with Native American tribes in the use of their forest lands. Mater Engineering, Ltd., located in Corvallis, Oregon, provides engineering and consultation services to the forest products industry.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Mater Engineering, Ltd., located in Corvallis, Oregon, provides engineering and consultation services to the forest products industry. It was founded in 1952 by Oregon State College alumna Jean Mater, who earned her Ph.D. in Forest Products Chemistry from OSC in 1955, and her husband, Milton Mater, who served as president until his death in 1991. A graduate in mechanical engineering from the City University of New York, Milton Mater held numerous patents in sawmill automation.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Mater Engineering Tribal Consultation Files were generated and assembled by Mater Engineering, Ltd. and pertain to the company's consulting work with Native American tribes in the use of their forest lands. In addition to correspondence, proposals, contracts, photographs, and studies documenting the interaction between the tribes and the company, the files include informational materials such as articles, maps, newspaper clippings, and publications. The bulk of the informational materials was collected and submitted by the tribes for lawsuits against the federal government. Materials pertaining to the Colville, Hoopa, Klamath, Makah, Quinault, San Carlos Apache, Umatilla, Warm Springs, White Mountain Apache, Yakima, and Yankton Sioux tribes are included in the files.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Mater Engineering Tribal Consultation Files, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
The Mater Engneering Tribal Consultation Files are a component of the Oregon Multicultural Archives. The OSU Archives collections include a variety of materials pertaining to forestry and forest products.
The Jean Mater Papers document Dr. Mater's service on various boards and councils, including the Portland Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, the Oregon Consortium, the State Job Training Coordinating Council, the Governor's Employment and Training Council, the Balance of State Private Industry Council, the OSU College of Business Advisory Council, and the Community Services Consortium.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Forest management--South Dakota.
- Forest products--South Dakota.
- Forest products--Washington (State)
- Forest management--Arizona.
- Forest management--California.
- Forest management--Oregon.
- Forest management--Washington (State)
- Forest products--Arizona.
- Forest products--California.
- Forest products--Oregon.
- Indians of North America--Government relations.
- Indians of North America--Industries.
- Indians of North America--Land tenure.
- Colville Indian Reservation (Wash.)
- Hoopa Valley Tribe, California.
- Klamath Indian Tribe of Oregon.
- Makah Indian Tribe of the Makah Indian Reservation, Washington.
- Quinault Tribe of the Quinault Reservation, Washington.
- San Carlos Apache Tribe of the San Carlos Reservation, Arizona.
- Umatilla Indian Reservation (Or.)
- Warm Springs Indian Reservation (Or.)
- White Mountain Apache Tribe of the Fort Apache Reservation, Arizona.
- Yakama Indian Reservation (Wash.)
- Yankton Sioux Tribe of South Dakota.
Form or Genre Terms
- Mater, Jean, 1916- (creator)
- Mater, Milton H. (creator)
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs. Branch of Forestry. (creator)
- Intertribal Timber Council. (creator)