- Hockett, W. A., 1837-
- The experiences of W.A. Hockett on the Oregon Trail, 1847
- 1847 (inclusive)18471847
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 folder
- Collection Number
- CB H659
- Collection comprises a single manuscript that is W.A. Hockett's personal account of his journey across the Oregon Trail. The manuscript was typed by Hockett in 1914 and discusses events occurring in 1846-1847.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
W.A. Hockett was born around 1837 in Salem, Iowa. He was the third of four children. At the age of nine, he and his family joined the Lewelling party which crossed the western plains of the Oregon Trail. On the trail, his father, Nathan H. Hockett, died on August 22, 1847 and his mother, Rebecca Hockett, died on August 27, 1847. W.A. Hockett and his siblings competed the trek to Oregon, arriving in Portland on December 21, 1847. The children were then separated to live with separate families. Mr. Hockett lived with Jacob Reed and his family. In the spring of 1851, Mr. Hockett returned to Iowa by travelling through Panama. He returned to Salem, Iowa on May 21, 1851.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The W.A. Hockett Papers consists of a single manuscript of about seventeen typewritten pages. The manuscript details the events of 1846-1847, when Mr. Hockett and his family made the trek across the Oregon Trail with a company of other settlers from Salem, Iowa. The chronicle is based on letters of Nathan A. Hockett. The papers include an introduction by Mr. Hockett as well as lyrics to the song "I Ain't Dead Yet".
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Lewelling Party
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Pioneers--West (U.S.)
- Hockett, Nathan A.
- Hockett, W. A., 1837-
- Oregon National Historic Trail