Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Karen R. Davis Papers, 1951-1983
- Karen R. Davis
- Karen R. Davis Papers
- 1951-1983 (inclusive)19511983
- 2 linear feet
- Collection Number
- MG345 (collection)
- Nutritional survey data from students at three high schools in Boise, Nampa, and Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, collected by Kathleen Warnick as part of a national survey of student nutrition (1951-1957). Included is information on meal patterns, diet histories, nutrient intake, servings of food eaten, and soup consumption. Also included is Karen Davis's correspondence with the high schools in an attempt to locate the students for a follow-up study (1979-1983).
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
In 1951, as part of a national nutrition survey, the Home Economics Department, with Kathleen Warnick as principal investigator, collected data from high school students in three communities, Boise, Nampa, and Coeur d'Alene. In 1983 Karen Davis of the Home Economics Research Department obtained the data from Mrs. Warnick and made an unsuccessful attempt to locate the students in order to do a follow up study.
These papers contain the original data gathered by Kathleen Warnick and her associates on the nutrition of high school students, documenting such things as meal patterns, diet histories, nutrient intake, servings of food eaten, and soup consumption, as well as several published reports using the data collected. Also included is Karen Davis' correspondence with the high schools in an attempt to locate the students, and her proposals for several grants.
All material retains the original folder headings and physical arrangement. Published material, other than that directly related to the study, was removed for review by subject librarians. Boxes 2 and 3 consist of oversize charts shelved flat.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1/1||Nutritional status, Grant proposals
|1/2||Publications from the 1950s nutritional status survey
|1/5||Wetzel grid findings
|1/8-9||Bone density determinations
|1/10||Dental phase of RMA; tabulations, calculations, charts
|1/15||Servings of foods eaten
|1/16||Nutritional status bulletin charts
|1/17||Tabulation charts: food groups eaten at each meal
|2/19||Computer print-out of data
|2/20||Idaho food Records, by individual
|3/21||Idaho food Records, by individual
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Diet -- Idaho
- High school students -- Idaho -- Nutrition
- Home economics professor, University of Idaho, 1969-1987.
- Davis, Karen R.--Archives.
- Warnick, Kathleen