Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Wheeler for Senate Club Records, 1940-1946
- Wheeler for Senate Club
- Wheeler for Senate Club Records
- 1940-1946 (inclusive)19401946
- 0.75 linear feet, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- Mss 109
- The Wheeler for Senate Club was formed to re-nominate U.S. Senator Burton K. Wheeler in the 1946 Montana Democratic primary. The collection contains materials produced and collected by the Wheeler for Senate Club.
University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
- Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Wheeler for Senate Club was formed to re-nominate U.S. Senator Burton K. Wheeler in the 1946 Montana Democratic primary. R. Bailey Stortz, a member of Wheeler's Washington, D.C. staff, became secretary-treasurer for the club, and Sam E. Winn was president. The club was headquartered in Helena, Montana. Wheeler, who had first been elected by Montanans in 1922, and who was one of the most powerful senators in Washington D.C. in the 1930s, was defeated in the 1946 primary by Leif Erickson. Erickson was subsequently defeated in the general election by Republican candidate Zales Ecton.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains materials produced and collected by the Wheeler for Senate Club. Materials they collected were about and by the Senator and include his voting record, speeches, and newspaper clippings; they used these to establish the case for his re-election. Materials produced by the Club include correspondence, campaign materials, and financial records.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Wheeler for Senate Club Records, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Date and source of acqusition unknown.
The original processors arranged and described the collection as the R. Bailey Stortz Papers, LC 109, and produced a finding aid. In 2004, the collection was re-named the Wheeler for Senate Club Records, re-numbered Mss 109, and the finding aid was revised and encoded.
Burton K.Wheeler's papers are held by Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections, Montana State University Libraries.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1/5||Wheeler's speeches and writings||1940-1946|
|2/2||Wheeler's Senate voting record||undated|
|2/3||Erickson and Wheeler||undated|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Political campaigns--Montana
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall), 1882-1975
- United States. Congress. Senate--Elections, 1946
- Democratic Party (Mont.)
- Montana--Politics and government--20th century
Form or Genre Terms
- Speeches, addesses, etc., American
- Stortz, R. Bailey
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall),1882-1975
- Winn, Sam E.