Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Faculty Club, University of Idaho Records, 1945-1971
- Faculty Club, University of Idaho
- Faculty Club, University of Idaho Records
- 1945-1971 (inclusive)19451971
- 1 c.f.
- Collection Number
- MG070 (collection)
- Preliminary surveys of the faculty, minutes of board meetings, correspondence, inventories of equipment, sales tax records and other financial records.
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Faculty Club was organized in 1945 as a voluntary organization to provide a social center for faculty members. It occupied the frame building on the corner of Pine and Idaho, now the Satellite SUB, until 1970 when the furniture and equipment was moved to the faculty lounge in the Faculty Office Building.
The original dues were $5.00 a year and a charge was made for coffee, candy bars, cigarettes, etc. The club also organized a picnic and dance each year. Although the university provided the building which housed the club, and paid half the salary of the hostess, the club was responsible for half the hostess' salary, their own supplies, and any redecorating or remodeling of the building. The business was conducted by a board of directors consisting of six faculty members and one or two members appointed by the Faculty Women's Club.
Increasing costs and decreasing memberships resulted in the demise of the club in the summer of 1971. All assets were turned over to the university.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Records of the Faculty Club span the years 1945 to 1971, with the bulk of the material covering the years 1960 to 1967.
The papers include preliminary surveys of the faculty, minutes of board meetings, correspondence, memos, inventories of equipment, sales tax records, daily cash tallies, financial statements and a cash journal.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The material in this Manuscript Group was in file folders, and although the folders were re-arranged to form the series, the contents of the folders were not altered. Items in each folder are in chronological order.
The first series contains the preliminary survey of the faculty regarding a faculty club, and the estimated cost of furniture, dishes, silverware, etc., needed. It also contains the constitution, bylaws, and minutes of board meetings.
The correspondence series contains both incoming and copies of outgoing letters regarding equipment and supplies, memos between directors, and various announcements and notices.
Inventories for insurance purposes, tax receipts, cash records, financial statements, invoices from the university and the cash journal are in the financial series.
Although the invoices from the university were retained with the records, all others were discarded as they are well documented in the cash journal. Also removed were three books of cancelled checks. In all the volume of material was reduced by approximately 0.5 c.f..
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I. Organizational Records, 1945-1970Return to Top
Constitution and By-laws
Minutes of Board Meetings
Series II. Correspondence and Other Papers, 1945-1970Return to Top
Series III. Financial Records, 1947-1971Return to Top
Income tax Exemption Affidavit
Sales Tax Records
Daily Cash Tally Records
Invoices, University of Idaho
Savings pass book
Combined Cash Journal
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- University of Idaho--Faculty--Societies and clubs
- Faculty Club of the University of Idaho