- Walden, Amelia Elizabeth
- Amelia Elizabeth Walden papers
- 1954-1977 (inclusive)19541977
- 3 linear feet, (6 containers) : 6 manuscript boxes
- Collection Number
- Coll 054
- Collection comprises literary manuscripts of young adult fiction by Amelia Elizabeth Walden and her correspondence with McGraw-Hill relating to book production.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Amelia Elizabeth Walden was born January 15, 1909 in New York City. After graduating from Columbia University in 1934, she attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, also in New York. From 1935 to 1945 she taught English and Dramatics at Norwalk High School, Norwalk, Connecticut. In 1946 Miss Walden married John William Harmon. This was also the year that her first book was published. At the request of her editor she revised the manuscript, entitled Gateway, to fit a new genre emerging at the time, called the "young adult" novel which was aimed at a post-adolescent but not yet adult audience, approximately ages 16 to 18. She is considered a pioneer in this area of American literature. Miss Walden found success writing for this audience, and commented, "I respond to young people because I remember my own adolescence so vividly - and fondly. It was a period of total involvement, of enjoying life to the hilt."
Miss Walden has written over 40 novels published by McGraw-Hill, Lippincott, William Morrow, The Westminster Press, and Appleton Century-Crofts. In 1985 she was residing in Westport, Connecticut.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Amelia E. Walden Papers consist of manuscripts and related material written between 1954 and 1977. They are arranged alphabetically by title and all the material relating to each manuscript is grouped under that title. The folders labeled McGraw-Hill material include inter-office memoranda, cost estimates, check disbursement forms, and book production information. There is only one book with the collection, Heartbreak Tennis. It is shelved free-standing at the end of the boxed material.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Amelia Elizabeth Walden papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Authors and publishers--United States
- Publishers and publishing--United States
- Women authors, American--20th century
- Young adult fiction, American--Authorship
- McGraw-Hill Book Company