- Army Specialized Training Program (U.S.)
- Army Specialized Training Program Records
- 1943-1946 (inclusive)19431946
- 2 microfilm reels
- Collection Number
- RG 059
- The Army Specialized Training Program Records document this World War II training program at Oregon State College. The records include time certificates and payrolls, budgets and expense accounts, and limited correspondence about the general administration of the program.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Unit 3900 of the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) was established by the War Department at Oregon State College in March 1943. The program provided training for high grade technicians and specialists needed by the Army for the war effort. Most of the instruction was provided by regular Oregon State College faculty; E.B. Lemon, as Dean of Administration, was Coordinator of the ASTP for Oregon State. Enrollment peaked in the summer of 1943 with more than 1300 ASTP students at Oregon State College.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Army Specialized Training Program Records document the U.S. Army's training program at Oregon State College during World War II. The bulk of the records are time certificates and payrolls and provide detailed information about the role of Oregon State College faculty as instructors in the program. The budgets and expense records include some correspondence pertaining to general administration of the program. Series III consists of a 1943 publication, Essential Facts about the Army Specialized Training Program.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Army Specialized Training Program Records (RG 059), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The records consist of three series: I. Time Certificates and Payrolls, 1944-1946; II. Budgets and Expense Accounts, 1943-1944; and III. Publication, 1943.
The records were acquired in the early-mid 1960s and microfilmed in 1967.
Additional materials pertaining to the Army Specialized Training Program are part of the College of Science (RG 024) and College of Engineering (RG 062) Records. Photographs of the Army Specialized Training Program are available in Harriet's Collection and the Clair Van Norman Papers. The Archives includes several collections documenting military training at Oregon State, including the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Records (RG 058), the Air Force ROTC Motion Pictures Films (FV P 056), and the Students Army Training Program (RG 060).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- World War, 1939-1945--War work--Schools.
- Oregon State College--Faculty.
- Lemon, E. B. (Erwin Bertran), 1889-1979. (creator)