- Glacier National Park (Mont.)
- Glacier National Park (Mont.) Collection
- 1910-1953 (inclusive)19101953
- 2 reels micorfilm
- Collection Number
- Mss 040
- Glacier National Park, founded in 1910, is located in northwest Montana. The collection contains a selection of materials from the Park's archives that relate to the history of the Park, land holdings, permits, employees, mining claims, and wildlife.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana--Missoula.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Founded in 1910 as the United State's tenth national Park, Glacier National Park is located in northwest Montana. It is well-known for its great natural beauty, particularly glaciers, lakes, mountains, wildlife, and scenic vistas.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains a selection of materials produced by and about Glacier National Park. Most the materials relate to the early history of the Park and to attempts to record that history. There are also materials that relate to land holdings, permits, employees, mining claims, predatory animals (including coyotes and wolves) and other wildlife.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to the University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Glacier National Park Collection , Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Materials do not appear to have been arranged in a particular order.
Originals located in the Glacier National Park Archives.
Loaned to the K. Ross Toole Archives for microfilming in 1968.
The original processor arranged, microfilmed, and produced a finding aid for the materials. In 2004, the finding aid was minimally revised and encoded.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||History of Glacier National Park With Particular Emphasis on
the Northern Developments
Ralph L. Beals
|1||Parks, Reservations, and
Legislation creating park, history, materials regarding the death of George B. Grinnell
|1||A National Park in its Formative Stages
|1||How Glacier Park was Made
Morton J. Elrod
|1||C.J. Delano (wagon road)||1911|
|1||Permits: residence sites, timber, St. Mary-Many Glacier road||undated|
|1||Private holdings (U.S. Land Office)||1910|
|1||Employment of packers, guides, etc.||1911|
|1||Senator Walsh bills to eliminate private lands in park||undated|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Animals--Montana -- Glacier National Park
- National parks and reserves --Montana
- Predatory animals--Montana --Glacier National Park
- Glacier National Park (Mont.)