Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Geoffrey Wells (Geoffrey West) Papers, 1928-1942
- West, Geoffrey, 1900-
- Geoffrey Wells (Geoffrey West) Papers
- 1928-1942 (inclusive)19281942
- .25 Linear Feet of Shelf Space, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- Cage 745 (collection)
- Geoffrey Wells, who wrote under the name Geoffrey West, was an English novelist, literary critic and biographer. The collection consists of correspondence from Geoffrey Wells to the American essayist, critic, and naturalist Henry Chester Tracy. Wells wrote on a variety of subjects in these letters, but often focused on literary subjects.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Geoffrey Wells, who wrote under the name Geoffrey West, was an English novelist, literary critic and biographer. His best-known work, H.G. Wells: Sketch for a Portrait, was published in 1930.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of correspondence from Geoffrey Wells to the American essayist, critic, and naturalist Henry Chester Tracy. Wells wrote on a variety of subjects in these letters, but often focused on literary subjects. The correspondence begins in 1927 with a letter to Tracy as part of his research for his biography of Annie Besant; later letters mention his other writing projects, and Tracy's comments on them, and Wells's responses to many of Tracy's writings. Other topics include the review and promotion of Tracy's books in England, and matters concerning many of their acquaintances in literary and publishing circles, including Middleton Murry, Leonard Woolf, Desmond McCarthy, A.R. Orage, Stanley Unwin, Christopher and F. V. Morley, and Fredric Warburg. He also discussed politics and the impending world war, and, occasionally, personal matters.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright restrictions apply.
[Item Description] Geoffrey Wells papers, 1928-1942
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The items are arranged in a single chronological sequence.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Correspondence from Wells to Henry Chester TracyReturn to Top
1931 (includes photograph of Wells)
Miscellaneous items, 1932 and undated
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Authors, English -- 20th century -- Archives.
- Publishers and publishing -- England.
- Publishers and publishing -- United States.
- Tracy, Henry Chester, 1876- -- Correspondence.
- West, Geoffrey, 1900- -- Correspondence.