Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Genetics Program Records, 1946-1972
Overview of the Collection
- Genetics Program Records
- 1946-1972 (inclusive)19461972
- approximate 576 items, ( .5 linear feet), ( 1 containers)
- Collection Number
- Archives 179
- The records consist of memoranda, minutes, correspondence, and reports.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
The Collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
A committee to explore work in instruction and research in genetics at Washington State College was first considered in 1946. By 1950 this had evolved into the Joint Committee on Genetics. Due to a desire to improve the status of Genetics at Washingt on State College the Inter-College Committee on the Teaching Program in Genetics was created in 1955. This standing committee included an inter-departmental Genetics Group to teach genetics courses.
In 1957 the Inter-College Committee petitioned for curricula leading to M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Genetics. Approval of their curricula resulted in the Inter-College Committee evolving into two interdepartmental groups: the Staff in Genetics and the Executive Committee in Genetics, which functioned as a departmental graduate committee.
In 1963 a formal Genetics Program, with its own budget and administration, was proposed. The proposal became reality when Genetics was reorganized into a Special Program in 1965. Since that time, the Genetics Program has remained interdisciplinary, but has its own faculty, chairman, budget, and teaching assistants. In 1981 the name of the program was changed to Genetics and Cell Biology.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The program files are arranged in a single chronological series. The records consist of memoranda, minutes, correspondence, and reports.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
General Chronological File Return to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Genetics--Study and teaching--Washington (State)
- Universities and colleges--Departments--Archival resources
- Washington State University. Department of Genetics and Cell Biology--Archives (creator)
- Washington State University. Department of Genetics and Cell Biology--Records and correspondence
- State College of Washington. Genetics Program. (creator)
- Washington State University. Genetics Program. (creator)