Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Agricultural Engineering Department Motion Picture Films, 1947-1968
- Oregon State University. Agricultural Engineering Dept.
- Agricultural Engineering Department Motion Picture Films
- 1947-1968 (inclusive)19471968
- 0.1 cubic feet, (6 film reels)
- Collection Number
- P 106 (F/V)
- The Agricultural Engineering Department Motion Picture Films document the development of mechanical harvesting equipment by Oregon State University researchers in the 1960s and the fiber flax industry in the Willamette Valley in the 1940s.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Agricultural Engineering Department Motion Picture Films document strawberry harvesting in Oregon in the 1960s, especially the development of mechanical harvesting equipment by Oregon State University researchers, and the growing and processing of fiber flax in the Willamette Valley in the 1940s.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Agricultural Engineering Department Motion Picture Films (P 106), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The films have been assigned individual numbers (P106:1-6).
The films are 16 mm, in black and white as well as color. All of the films are silent, except the flax film (P106:6) which includes a soundtrack.
Other motion picture films of strawberry harvesting are part of the Extension and Experiment Station Motion Picture Films and Videotapes (P 120) and Experiment Station Communications Films (P 132). Several hundred color slides of strawberry harvesting are part of the Bioresource Engineering Photographic Collection (P 106). The Dean E. Booster Papers include research records and photographs documenting the development of a mechanized strawberry harvester.
The Bioresource Engineering Department Records (RG 1) include materials related to flax research. Photographs of flax growing, processing, and research are part of the Bioresource Engineering Department Photographic Collection (P 106).
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Strawberry harvestersReturn to Top
Number P106:5: Strawberry harvestingReturn to Top
Container(s): Box 1
Number P106:6: Fiber Flax Growing and Processing in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, ca. 1947Return to Top
Container(s): Box 1
Produced by the Cooperative Research Project of the US Department of Agriculture and the Oregon State College Agricultural Experiment Station.
Description from the 1953 Department of Visual Instruction catalog: "Scenes of the growing, harvesting, and processing of fiber flax in the Willamette Valley. Planting, chemical weeding, mechanical pulling, seeding, retting, processing, and use of flax fibers."
Duplication master and DVD use copy available for this film.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Flax industry--Oregon.
- Flax--Processing--Oregon--Willamette River Valley.
Form or Genre Terms
- Motion pictures (visual works).
- Silent films.
- Oregon State College. Agricultural Experiment Station. (creator)
- United States. Dept. of Agriculture. (creator)