Guide to the Christine K. Hansen Biography, 1981 PDF
- Iva L. Matson
- Guide to the Christine K. Hansen Biography
- 1981 (inclusive)19811981
- 1 File (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- The collection consists of an obituary and a manuscript about the life of Christine K. ("Disse") Hansen. She was born in Denmark in 1883, and died in 1981. The biography discusses her life in Denmark, immigration, schooling in nursing, marriage, and nursing work in Alaska.
- Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Christine K. Hansen was born in the Schleswig, the German part of Denmark, in 1883 and worked for different families until she immigrated to Enumclaw, Washington, when she was twenty-five. In 1907 she entered the nursing class at Providence Hospital in Seattle, Washington, even though she spoke very little English. She graduated in 1911 from the hospital’s second class. For over twenty years she accompanied her husband, P. John Hansen ("Jens"), a cannery supervisor in Alaska, as an unpaid nurse. After retirement she and her husband managed an apartment house for several years. She moved into the Bayview Manor retirement home after her husband’s death. She was also very active in fund-raising for the Griffin Home for Boys. Christine died at age 98 in 1981.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of a photocopied obituary and a typed manuscript about the life of Christine K. Hansen, referred to as “Disse” in the manuscript.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from (the collection) must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission from the copyright holder.
Christine K. Hansen Biography, SIEmss_115, Archives and Special Collections, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Danish Americans
- Denmark--Emigraton and immigration
- Personal Names :
- Hansen, Christine K.
- Hansen, P. John
- Krogh, Julie
- Matsen, Iva L.
- Corporate Names :
- Bayview Manor (Seattle, Wash.)
- Friends of Youth (Wash.)
- Pacific Lutheran Cemetery (Seattle, Wash.)
- Providence Hospital School of Nursing (Seattle, Wash.)
- Geographical Names :
- Enumclaw (Wash.)
- Schleswig (Germany and Denmark)
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Occupations :
- Cannery workers
- Titles within the Collection :
- Christine Hansen, 98, early nursing grad, dies
- Disse's Contribution to America