William S. Prichard letters, 1852-1869 PDF
- Prichard, William S.
- William S. Prichard letters
- 1852-1869 (inclusive)18521869
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 099
- Prichard left Polk County, Iowa in 1852; was in Marysville, Calif., in 1861; Union, Oregon, 1865-1867; and Rye Valley, Oregon, 1868-1869. In 1865, he built a toll road from Union to Express Ranch, Oregon, an investment that failed. His very occasional letters to a brother, Amos, and to other relatives in Iowa give a bare account of his experiences.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
William S. Prichard left Polk County, Iowa in 1852. He was in Marysville, California, in 1861; Union, Oregon, 1865-1867; and Rye Valley, Oregon, 1868-1869. In 1865 he built a toll road from Union to Express Ranch, Oregon, an investment that ultimately failed to turn a profit.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of 17 of Prichard's letters to his brother, Amos, and other relatives in Iowa. The letters give a terse account of his experiences as a pioneer in Oregon and California.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], William S. Prichard letters, A 099, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life
- Toll roads--Oregon
- Geographical Names :
- Marysville (Calif.)
- Oregon National Historic Trail--Description and travel
- Polk County (Iowa)
- Union County (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Letters (Correspondence)