College of Forestry Moving Images, 2007 PDF
- Oregon State University. College of Forestry.
- College of Forestry Moving Images
- 2007 (inclusive)20072007
- 0.01 cubic foot, including 1 DVD, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- FV P 061
- The College of Forestry Moving Images consist of A Century of Oregon Forestry: Challenge, Change, and Opportunity, a DVD produced by the College and the Oregon Forest Resources Institute about the development of professional forestry in Oregon and Oregon's role as a leader in sustainable forest practices
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
A four-year degree program in forestry was established at Oregon Agricultural College in 1906. The School of Forestry was formed in 1913, with George Peavy as the first Dean. George W. Brown served as Dean of Forestry from 1990 to 2000; Hal Salwasser was appointed Dean in 2000.
The Oregon Forest Resources Institute was established by the Oregon Legislature in 1991 to improve public understanding of the state's forest resources and to provide training and other educational programs in environmentally sound forest management for forest landowners.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The College of Forestry Moving Images consist of A Century of Oregon Forestry: Challenge, Change, and Opportunity, a DVD produced by the College of Forestry and the Oregon Forest Resources Institute to commemorate the centennial of the establishment of an academic program in forestry at Oregon State University. The 14-minute production describes the development of professional forestry in Oregon and the manangement and innovation that have made Oregon a leader in sustainable forestry. The video recording includes footage of forests, logging and wood products operations, and scientific studies in Oregon forests.
Several OSU faculty and administrators narrate and are shown in the production, including Hal Salwasser (Dean); George Brown (Dean Emeritus); Gail Achterman (Director, Institute for Natural Resources); Darrell Ross and Steve Strauss (OSU Forest Science faculty); and Scott Leavengood (Director, Oregon Wood Innovation Center). Others providing narration are: Jim Bowyer, Director, Responsible Materials Program, Dovetail Partners; Rick Brown, Senior Resource Specialist, Defenders of Wildlife; Ted Lorensen, Assistant State Forester, Oregon Department of Forestry; Jennifer Phillippi, Manager, Rough and Ready Lumber; and Rex Storm, Forest Policy Manager, Associated Oregon Loggers.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
College of Forestry Moving Images (FV P 061), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Forest conservation--Oregon.
- Forestry schools and education--Oregon.
- Forests and forestry--Oregon.
- Personal Names :
- Achterman, Gail L.
- Brown, George Wallace, 1939-
- Salwasser, Hal.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Forest Resources Institute. (creator)