Collection is open for research.
A four-year degree program in forestry was established at Oregon Agricultural College in 1906. The School of Forestry was formed in 1913, with George Peavy as the first Dean. George W. Brown served as Dean of Forestry from 1990 to 2000; Hal Salwasser was appointed Dean in 2000.
The Oregon Forest Resources Institute was established by the Oregon Legislature in 1991 to improve public understanding of the state's forest resources and to provide training and other educational programs in environmentally sound forest management for forest landowners.
The College of Forestry Moving Images consist of A Century of Oregon Forestry: Challenge, Change, and Opportunity, a DVD produced by the College of Forestry and the Oregon Forest Resources Institute to commemorate the centennial of the establishment of an academic program in forestry at Oregon State University. The 14-minute production describes the development of professional forestry in Oregon and the manangement and innovation that have made Oregon a leader in sustainable forestry. The video recording includes footage of forests, logging and wood products operations, and scientific studies in Oregon forests.
Several OSU faculty and administrators narrate and are shown in the production, including Hal Salwasser (Dean); George Brown (Dean Emeritus); Gail Achterman (Director, Institute for Natural Resources); Darrell Ross and Steve Strauss (OSU Forest Science faculty); and Scott Leavengood (Director, Oregon Wood Innovation Center). Others providing narration are: Jim Bowyer, Director, Responsible Materials Program, Dovetail Partners; Rick Brown, Senior Resource Specialist, Defenders of Wildlife; Ted Lorensen, Assistant State Forester, Oregon Department of Forestry; Jennifer Phillippi, Manager, Rough and Ready Lumber; and Rex Storm, Forest Policy Manager, Associated Oregon Loggers.
College of Forestry Moving Images (FV P 061), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.