William Howard diary, April 1862-September 1862 PDF
- Howard, Wm. (William), 1831-1862
- William Howard diary
- April 1862-September 186218621862
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 056
- William Howard travelled from Clackamas County to the minefields of eastern Oregon to dig for gold with his brother Charles. The collection consists of a single diary detailing his journey and early mining experiences.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Howard's diary chronicles the rigors of his journey from Clackamas County to the gold fields of eastern Oregon, as well as his early experiences mining for gold. He also made note of the weather for each day of his trip. There is an abbreviated ledger of Howard's debts and expenses incured on the trip at the end of the diary.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
With his brother Charles, William Howard located diggings on Granite Creek in the Powder River Valley of eastern Oregon. He was killed in a mining accident at Granite Creek September 7, 1862.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], William Howard diary, A 056, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Gold miners--Oregon--Diaries
- Gold mines and mining--Oregon--Granite Creek (Grant County)
- Personal Names :
- Howard, Wm. (William), 1831-1862--Travel--Oregon, Eastern
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Climate--History--19th century
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books