RIDGE records, 1987-2012 PDF
- RIDGE (Association)
- RIDGE records
- 1987-2012 (inclusive)19872012
- 9.31 cubic feet (7 boxes, 2 oversize folders, 4 tubes)
- Collection Number
- 6295 (Accession No. 6295-001)
- Collection of a Roslyn-based community organization
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
No restrictions on access for paper-based materials. VHS cassettes and CDs are closed until processed. No user access copy is available for material on VHS or CDs. Users may be able to obtain a reproduction of the media for a fee. Contact Special Collections for more information.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
RIDGE was a community organization based in Roslyn, Washington. Ellie Belew and Douglas Kilgore were leaders of the organization, which engaged in activism around forestry and land-use issues during the late ’90s early 2000s. RIDGE partnered with labor groups--especially the Building Trades--in a long fight to block the development of what is now the Suncadia Resort. Later they engaged with Futurewise to litigate and organize for reforms to the Kittitas County Comprehensive Plan.
RIDGE dissolved in 2012. Kilgore has long ties to the Washington State labor movement and Belew has authored several books in collaboration with labor unions and labor activists.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Materials include news clippings and media coverage, land use maps, lawsuit materials, and digital files from the campaigns. Videotapes comprise another portion of the collection. Notes and contract drafts from contract negotiations form another part of the collection.
Other Descriptive InformationReturn to Top
Forms part of the Labor Archives of Washington.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Creator's copyrights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries Special Collections.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||RIDGE Maps, Settlements and Clippings|
|2||Clippings, CDs, Press Releases, and Newsletters|
|3||Reports, Photographs, Correspondence and Maps|
|4||By-laws, Meeting minutes, and Negotiation files|
|5||Negotiation files, Maps, and Water focused initiatives|
|6||VHS tapes, CDs, Suncadia documents, and Miller Prop.|
|7||Oversize maps, photographs and petitions|
|OS folder 1||Oversize maps|
|OS folder 2||Relative Stability of Soils in the Upper Yakima Basin map|
|Tube 1||Laminated map overlays|
|Tube 2||Wenatchee National Forest South with map overlays|
|Tube 3||Yakima North Central Washington Region||June 1986 Edition|
|Tube 4||Aerial photograph of land SE of Cle Elum Lake
Small laminated photographs have been taped together to form a large aerial view of the land now occupied by Suncadia Resort.
Restricted until digital version is available
|Tube 5||Wenatchee National Forest South with map overlays|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Conservation of natural resources--Washington (State)
- Environmentalism--Washington (State)
- Forest conservation--Washington (State)
- Labor movement--Washington (State)
- Labor unions--Washington (State)
- Labor--Washington (State)
- Land use--Washington (State)
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Corporate Names :
- RIDGE (Association)--Archives
- RIDGE (Association)--Press coverage
- Suncadia (Resort)--History--Sources
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Labor Archives of Washington (University of Washington) (host institution)