William L. English diary, 1876 PDF
- English, William L.
- William L. English diary
- 1876 (inclusive)18761876
- 1 folder, (0.25 linear foot)
- Collection Number
- MS 0132
- The William L. English diary (1876) records the trip from Fort Shaw, Montana, in an attempt to centralize the Indian population of the Montana Territory with the mission culminating in Custer's battle with the Sioux. William L. English served as First Lieutenant in Company I of the Seventh Infantry.
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
William L. English was born in Illinois and received his military commission in Illinois as a volunteer Second Lieutenant on 18 June 1867. In 1872, he was elevated to the rank of First Lieutenant of the Seventh Infantry. English served under General John Gibbon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The William L. English diary (1876) records the trip from Fort Shaw, Montana, in an attempt to centralize the Indian population of the Montana Territory with the mission culminating in Custer's battle with the Sioux. The diary is a log of events rather than a record of personal experiences. English describes the weather, physical landmarks, food, Crow and Sioux Indians, and the battlefield site on June 27, two days after Custer's battle.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Initial Citation: William L. English diary, MS 0132, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. University of Utah, J. Willard Marriott. Salt Lake City, Utah.
Following Citations: MS 0132.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876
- Yellowstone Expedition, 1876
- Personal Names :
- Custer, George Armstrong, 1839-1876
- Ludlow, William, 1843-1901--Diaries
- Geographical Names :
- West (U.S.)--Description and travel
- Form or Genre Terms :