Saidie Orr Dunbar diaries, 1923-1958 PDF
- Dunbar, Saidie Orr, 1880-1960
- Saidie Orr Dunbar diaries
- 1923-1958 (inclusive)19231958
- 3.0 linear feet, (6 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 026
- Saidie Orr Dunbar (1889-1960) was a social worker and active member of numerous health and welfare organizations. The collection consists of Dunbar's daily diaries.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Saidie Orr Dunbar (1889-1960) was a social worker. She lived in Kansas and California before moving to Oregon in 1889. She worked for many years in various capacities at the Oregon Tuberculosis Association, eventually rising to executive secretary. Dunbar organized several clubs in Oregon and went on to become state president of the Oregon Federation of Women’s Clubs, 1923-1926. She was elected President of the (National) General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) in 1938.
After her term as GFWC President, Dunbar returned to her position as executive secretary of the Oregon Tuberculosis Association. She served there until her retirement in 1951. The Oregon Federation of Women’s Clubs and the American Lung Association established The Saidie Orr Dunbar Nursing Education Fund Trust in her honor in 1956.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of Dunbar's day books from 1923 to 1958. There are entries of varying length for virtually every day. The diary entries are usually notations of meetings attended, persons seen, and observations.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
[Identification of item], Saidie Orr Dunbar diaries, Ax 026, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Civic leaders--Oregon
- Women--Oregon--Societies and clubs
- Form or Genre Terms :