Faith Lutheran Church, Roseburg, Oregon, Records, 1909-2012  PDF

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Faith Lutheran Church (Roseburg, Or.)
Title
Faith Lutheran Church, Roseburg, Oregon, Records
Dates
1909-2012 (inclusive)
Quantity
1 file
Collection Number
OPVELCA7a4_231 (collection)
Summary
Collection contains the records of Faith Lutheran Church in Roseburg, Oregon.
Repository
Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, Washington
98447
Telephone: 253-535-7586
Fax: 253-535-7315
archives@plu.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is available for research

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Ministry began in the Roseburg area of the Algarose district in 1909, and through the years Eden Lutheran served those who came from Roseburg. In 1947 a Roseburg Circle requested the Board of American Missions of the Augustana Church to develop a mission in Roseburg. Rev. Willis Erickson arrived in August of 1948 and the first service was held on October 3 with 70 people present. Faith organized on March 6, 1949 with 59 charter members. By fall a building site had been selected, and groundbreaking took place on June 18, 1950 with dedication in April of 1952. Growth and development brought multiple services and enlargement of facilities. In 1957 the Eden Church at Algarose was dissolved and the membership transferred to Faith. New property in West Roseburg was acquired. Again in 1962 additional classrooms were added. Plans for a new church were developed and began in 1972. Dedication of the first unit took place September 16, 1973. In August of 1980 the new church was dedicated.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

This folder contains various letters, pamphlet from Historic Oakland, Oregon, map of Douglas County, informational pamphlet on Douglas County, a chronological history of the church, "Adventure in Faith" booklet concerning the new church building, a booklet from the dedication in 1973, a list of pastors who have served the church, a congregational directory, letter regarding 50th anniversary newspaper clipping celebrating 50th anniversary, fourth Sunday of Easter service 1999, installation service for Raymond Edward Venghaus 1998.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder

Preferred Citation

From the Faith Lutheran Church, Roseburg, Oregon, Records, OPVELCA7a4_231, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

  • Subject Terms :
  • Lutherans--Oregon--History
  • Personal Names :
  • Eklof, Edward, 1938-1943
  • Erickson, Willis, 1949-1952
  • Ingebritson, Allen G., 1959-1966
  • Nelson, Norman B., 1966-1972
  • Sakrison, E. J., 1943-1944
  • Sandeen, Enoch 1945-1949
  • Anderson, A. G., 1929-1932
  • Baker, Jane C.
  • Carlson, J. E., 1915-1919
  • Edlund, J. A., 1932-1938
  • Edman, E. L., 1920-1926
  • Marttala, Dennis D., 1985-?
  • Nystrom, B. S., 1909-1910
  • Olson, Lester G., 1955-1957
  • Peters, Elmer, 1952-1954
  • Rice, Charles P., 1972-1983
  • Sandeen, Enoch, 1926-1929
  • Sture, N. J., 1910-1914
  • Corporate Names :
  • Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church--Oregon Synod
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
  • Geographical Names :
  • Roseburg (Or.)
  • Occupations :
  • Clergy