Goodkind Associates records>, 1897-1967 PDF
- Goodkind Associates (Helena, Mont.)
- Goodkind Associates records>
- 1897-1967 (inclusive)18971967
- 2 linear feet of shelf space
- Collection Number
- MC 216
- Goodkind Brothers, later known as Goodkind Associates, was a wine, liquor, and cigar store in Helena, Montana, owned and operated by Abraham L. Goodkind, and Edward I. Goodkind, in association with Meyer Wise and Charles Wise. The collection includes three account ledgers (1897-1967).
- Montana Historical Society, Research Center Archives
Montana Historical Society Research Center Archives
225 North Roberts
PO Box 201201
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Brothers Abraham L. and Edward I. Goodkind, and Meyer and Charles Wise operated a wholesale wine, liquor, and cigar business in Helena, Montana, from 1890 or 1891 until 1896 when the Wise brothers left the business. The Goodkind brothers continued their operation until Edward died on May 11, 1916. Abraham continued the operation with Edward's widow, Margaret L., until 1918. Abraham and Margaret then went into the loan business until 1922, when Margaret moved to Los Angeles. Subsequently, Arthur Ward joined Goodkind in the loans and securities business. Goodkind moved to Chicago in the 1930s. His business changed to the rental of, primarily, commercial property. The company's name was Goodkind Estate for at least the years 1950 to 1953, and Goodkind Associates from 1954 to at least 1969. Arthur Ward acted as Goodkind's agent in Helena until 1958. Goodkind Associates rented property in Helena, Billings, Butte, Forsyth, Helena, Miles City, and other towns in Montana.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of three account ledgers of Goodkind Brothers and Goodkind Associates. The ledgers include internal and external accounts.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Montana Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any reproduction use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
item description and date. Collection Title. Collection Number. Box and Folder numbers. Montana Historical Society Research Center, Archives, Helena, Montana.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Financial Records Return to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Liquor industry--Montana--Helena
- Real estate business--Montana--Helena.
- Geographical Names :
- Helena (Mont.)--Commerce.