Orange Gaylord diary, 1850-1853 PDF
- Gaylord, Orange, b. 1823
- Orange Gaylord diary
- 1850-1853 (inclusive)18501853
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 040
- The Orange Gaylord diary is a typed copy of Gaylord's accounts of his travels to and from the west during the years 1850-1853.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Orange Gaylord was born in 1823. In 1850 he embarked on an overland trip from Illinois to California and then traveled to Oregon. In 1851 he reutrned to Illinois via Panama and New York. In 1853 Gaylord returned to Oregon from Illinois via an overland route.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of a typed copy Gaylord's accounts of his journeys to and from the west. The original diary is housed at the Oregon Historical Society Library repository. This copy, made in May 1939, is 39 pages in total.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Orange Gaylord diary, A 040, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Diary of Orange Gaylord: From Marshall County, Illinois to California and Oregon||1850|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Personal Names :
- Gaylord, Orange, b. 1823--Diaries
- Gaylord, Orange, b. 1823--Travels--West (U.S.)
- Geographical Names :
- California National Historic Trail
- Oregon National Historic Trail
- West (U.S.)--Description and travel
- Form or Genre Terms :