Robertson family papers, 1831-1900 PDF
- Robertson family
- Robertson family papers
- 1831-1900 (inclusive)18311900
- .25 cubic feet (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 1076
- Papers of a family of pioneers of Polk County, Oregon. Most of the materials are letters from family members in Illinois, New Jersey, Missouri, and Oregon. Many of the letters were sent to Amanda, Mary Ann and James P. Robertson, including many from E. R. Metcalf of Jacksonville, Illinois, Libbie Teeple, of Pluckemin, New Jersey, and from members of the Riggs family.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Little is known of the Robertson family, around whom this collection was formed. They were pioneers in Polk County, Oregon, and included James and MaryAnn Robertson who lived previously in various towns in Illinois, including Knoxville, Hennepin, Bath, and in the state of Iowa. The Robertsons were related through marriage to the Riggs family, via Mary Ann Riggs Robertson (b. 1815), who married James P. Robertson; and to the Davis family of Brooks, Oregon. One cousin of Amanda Robertson was Libbie Teeple, of Pluckemin, Somerset County, New Jersey. One of Amanda's sisters was Elizabeth L. Hall, who lived in a town called Liberty in an unknown state.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains letters written from members of the Robertson and Riggs families. Many were sent to Amanda, Mary Ann, and James P. Robertson. Correspondents include Thomas J. Riggs of La Grange, Illinois; Elizabeth L. Hall; V. G. Smith of Cass County, Illinois; Libbie Teeple of Pluckemin, New Jersey; E. R. Metcalf of Whitehall and Jacksonville, Illinois; and the Davis family of Howell and Brooks, Oregon. Most letters relate to family and friends, but some contain details of daily life and local politics. Of particular interest is a letter from Metcalf, dated 1860 November 18, discussing the recent elections and the issue of slavery in Illinois state politics.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Robertson family papers, Mss1076, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Letters from Thomas J. Riggs, and Riggs family genealogy||1837-1859|
|2||Letters from the Riggs family||circa 1849-1890|
|3||Letters from Elizabeth L. Hall to Mary A. Riggs Robertson||1852-1868|
|4||Letters from V. G. Smith to James P. Robertson||1848-1853|
|5||Letters from Libbie Teeple to Amanda Robertson||1887-1900|
|6||Letters from Robertson family||1848-1890|
|7||Letters concerning business and family matters||1832-1893|
|8||Letters from E. R. Metcalf, Jacksonville, Ill.||1845-1869|
|9||Letters from Davis family, Howell and Brooks, Oregon||1883-1899|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Women--New Jersey--Pluckemin--History.
- Personal Names :
- Hall, Elizabeth L.--Correspondence (creator)
- Riggs, Thomas J.--Correspondence. (creator)
- Robertson, Amanda--Correspondence. (creator)
- Robertson, James P.--Correspondence. (creator)
- Robertson, Mary A. Riggs--Correspondence. (creator)
- Smith, V. G.--Correspondence. (creator)
- Teeple, Libbie--Correspondence (creator)
- Family Names :
- Davis family.
- Riggs family.
- Robertson family. (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Bath (Ill.)--History--19th century.
- Brooks (Or.)--History--19th century.
- Hennepin (Ill.)--History--19th century.
- Howell Prairie (Or.)--History--19th century.
- Illinois--Politics and government--To 1865.
- Jacksonville (Ill.)--History--19th century.
- Knoxville (Ill.)--History--19th century.
- La Grange (Ill.)--History--19th century.
- Pluckemin (N.J.)--History--19th century.
- Polk County (Or.)--History--19th century.
- Form or Genre Terms :