Edwin Russell Durno papers, 1954-1964 PDF
- Durno, Edwin R. (Edwin Russell), 1899-1976
- Edwin Russell Durno papers
- 1954-1964 (inclusive)19541964
- 16.5 linear feet, (11 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 190
- Edwin R. Durno (1899-1976), from Linn County, Oregon, was a physician who served in the Oregon State Senate and the U.S. Congress. The collection includes legislative and bill files, Oregon subject files and project files.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Edwin R. Durno (1899-1976), a physician and politician, was born in Linn County, Oregon, and educated at the University of Oregon and Harvard Medical School. He played for the Oregon Ducks basketball team and is a member of the Oregon Sports Hall of Fame. Durno married Evelyn Baker and together they had three daughters.
He served in WWI and he was awarded the Purple Heart for his service in WWII. He returned from the war and set up a medical practice in Medford, Oregon. In 1934 he was one of the original incorporators of the Physicians Service Plan for people of moderate means. He served on the Oregon Board of Medical Examiners from 1947 to 1958. He also ran for public office in Oregon. In 1958 he was elected to the Oregon State Senate from District 5, Jackson County, and in 1960 was elected U. S. Congressman, 4th District, as a Republican. He served one term. In 1962 he entered the primary campaign for nomination as U. S. senator, but was defeated. In 1964 he was chairman of the Goldwater campaign in Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes legislative and bill files, Oregon subject files and project files.
The bulk of the collection is the office files of Representative Durno, in office file order, relating to legislation and projects of interest to Oregon, especially the proposed Oregon Dunes National Seashore. There is also a large file on medical care bills. Other files include the Douglas McKay for Senator Committee, 1956, Durno campaign files for 1954-1964, Oregon legislative files, 1959-1961, and Goldwater campaign records, 1964.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Edwin Russell Durno papers, Ax 190, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Legislators--United States
- Medical care--Law and legislation--United States
- Medical laws and legislation--United States
- Personal Names :
- Durno, Edwin R. (Edwin Russell), 1899-1976
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Congress. House.
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (Or.)
- Oregon--Politics and government--1951-
- United States--Politics and government--1945-1989
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Campaign literature
- Legislative records