Department of Theatre Arts records, 1890-1981 PDF
- University of Oregon. Department of Theatre Arts
- Department of Theatre Arts records
- 1890-1981 (inclusive)18901981
- 9.5 linear feet, (8 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 088
- The University of Oregon Department of Theatre Arts began within the Speech Department and the Theatre division was first headed by Horace Robinson who was also the Director of the University Theatre. The collection includes meeting minutes, and office files, photographs, contact sheets, and negatives, broadsides, articles, posters, exhibit panels and other publicity, audio cassette tapes, and Eugene performing arts festival information, 1890-2001.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNAVAILABLE DEPARTMENTAL RECORDS: Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy.
For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Oregon Department of Theatre Arts was formed long after theatre productions became a regular part of campus life. The first production at UO was in 1876 although the first drama courses didn't appear until 1898. Early instructors were a part of the Speech and/or English Departments. By 1968 the Speech department was divided into two divisions: Speech and Theatre. The Theatre division was headed by Horace Robinson who was also the Director of the University Theatre.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, and office files, photographs, slides, contact sheets, and negatives, broadsides, articles, posters, exhibit panels and other publicity, audio cassette tapes, and Eugene performing arts festival information, 1890-1981.
Records are listed by accession and include (but are not limited to):
Accession 11181.A: Material relating to the creation of "A Century of the Lively Arts in Eugene, Oregon, 1880-1980's" program, executive board meeting minutes, financial reports, programs, photographs, handbills, slides, broadsides, negatives, contact sheets, exhibit panels (1880-1982), and a partial photographic and oral history record of the performing arts in Eugene, 1890-1981.
Accession 11571.A: Festival of the Arts (UO) records including program material and Festival of Arts committee minutes organized by year, 1954-1972.
Accession 1996.128.A: NAST (National Association of Schools of Theatre) files and accreditation files and senior theatre surveys, 1950s-1980s (bulk 1970s-1980s).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Department of Theatre Arts records, UA 088, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Eugene
- College theater--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Performing arts--Oregon--Eugene--History
- Theater--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Personal Names :
- Robinson, Horace W., 1909-
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon. Department of Theatre Arts--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. University Theatre
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Office files