Journal of a trip across the plains from Missouri to Oregon and of a land trip to California, March 31 to October 28, 1853, November 1853, 1853 PDF
- Owen, Benjamin Franklin, 1828-1917
- Journal of a trip across the plains from Missouri to Oregon and of a land trip to California, March 31 to October 28, 1853, November 1853
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 093
- Benjamin Franklin Owen (1828-1917) was a pioneer on the overland trail to Oregon. The collection consists of Owen's journal, My Trip Across the Plains, March 31, 1853-October 28, 1853.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Benjamin Franklin Owen (1828-1917) was a pioneer on the overland trail to Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Owen's original diary of his travel on the overland trail to Oregon was lost; this account was reconstructed by Owen from his own memories and another diary. Collection includes genealogical information on the Owen family. Benjamin Franklin Owen's party crossed the Cascades near the Three Sisters Mountains, and came down the McKenzie River.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Benjamin Franklin Owen journal, A 093, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
JournalReturn to Top
My Trip Across the Plains
Eugene, Or. : Reproduced by Lane County Pioneer-Historical Society, 1959.
|March 31, 1853-October 28, 1853|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.)
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Personal Names :
- Owen, Benjamin Franklin, 1828-1917--Archives
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Overland journals