William T. Faricy papers, 1939-1968 PDF
- Faricy, William T., 1893-1980
- William T. Faricy papers
- 1939-1968 (inclusive)19391968
- 12.0 linear feet, (14 containers)
- Collection Number
- Coll 030
- William T. Faricy became a lawyer and began working for the railroad industry after he graduated law school in 1914; by 1947 Faricy was president of the Association of American Railroads. Collection contains autographed correspondence, family and organizational correspondence, speeches, printed matter, family scrapbooks, memorabilia, certificates, photographs, and bound copies of legal briefs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
William T. Faricy was one of eight children born to a pioneer real estate dealer in 1893. Faricy went on to graduate first in his class from St. Paul College of Law in 1914 and became a lawyer. His first job was with the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad. By 1947, Faricy was president of the Association of American Railroads. He was active in numerous transportation organizations. Faricy retired in 1958 at age sixty. He died in 1980.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection contains autographed correspondence, family and organizational correspondence, speeches, printed matter including bound copies of Faricy's briefs and court decisions, scrapbooks, memorabilia, certificates, photographs, and a 1982 Addenda.
The autographed correspondence includes letters from Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Adlai Stevenson, Harry Truman, Herbert Hoover, and John F. Kennedy.
The family correspondence (1939-1968) is organized by date and consists of many details of Faricy's work. The organizational correspondence is arranged alphabetically by title of organization.
The collection also includes speeches by Faricy organized by date and by title of speech. The printed matter series includes addresses and articles by Faricy and other reports and newsclippings. There are scrapbooks by William Faricy (1931-1932, 1957 and 1958) and Eric Hauser (Mrs. Faricy's father (1926 and 1929). Also included are certificates of merit and other memorabilia.
There are five boxes that contain bound copies of legal briefs with arguments before the court by Faricy and others, including Erskine Woods.
The photograph series contains images of Faricy advocating for railroads and meeting with political figures including Truman, Nixon, and Wayne Morse, personal images from his boyhood, and a series from 1917 of Faricy in action as a bayonet instructor.
The 1982 addendum contains more autographed correspondence.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Archival records many contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], William T. Faricy papers, Coll 030, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
9.0 linear feet
1.25 linear feet
Faricy, William T., 1893-1980
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Lawyers--United States
- Presidents--United States--Correspondence
- Railroads--United States--History--20th century
- Personal Names :
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969--Correspondence
- Faricy, William T., 1893-1980
- Faricy, William T., 1893-1980--Correspondence
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964--Correspondence
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963--Correspondence
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994--Correspondence
- Stevenson, Adlai E. (Adlai Ewing), 1900-1965--Correspondence
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Association of American Railroads.
- Form or Genre Terms :