Oral history interview with Barbara Daniels, 2014 PDF
- Daniels, Barbara Danz
- Oral history interview with Barbara Daniels
- 2014 (inclusive)20142014
- Originals as received: 2 digital audio files (WAV) and 1 transcript (PDF)
- Collection Number
- 5884 (Accession No. 5884-001)
- Oral history interview of Barbara Danz Daniels.
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Barbara Daniels is the granddaughter of John and Jessie Danz and of Moe and Minnie Bernhard. The Danz family owned the theatre chain Sterling Recreation Organization (SRO). Barbara is an educator, and is also involved in philanthropic work. Her PhD dissertation was titled "Career paths of women of color in the early childhood education profession : successes, challenges, supports".
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This interview concerns Barbara Daniels' life growing up in Seattle, her family history, relationships, and her three children, including one disabled son. She discusses her education and the social climate growing up Jewish in Seattle. The interview covers her extensive career in early childhood education, both as a pre-school teacher and educator, culminating with her PhD from Seattle University in 1997. She talks about the development of her progressive educational philosophy, teaching style, and her experiences teaching in the Jewish Community Center Preschool, The Little School in Bellevue, and the Pacific Oaks College in Pasadena, California. It also covers her philanthropic endeavors including her work for Heritage University in the Yakima Valley, which is focused on providing education to multicultural students.
Other Descriptive InformationReturn to Top
Forms part of the Washington State Jewish Archives.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Listen to the audio recording and view the transcript of this interview on the Libraries Digital Collections site.
Creator's literary rights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Jewish educators--Washington (State)
- Jewish women--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Women educators--Washington (State)
- Personal Names :
- Daniels, Barbara Danz--Interviews
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Cohen, Arlene (interviewer)
- Reep, Renny (interviewer)
- Corporate Names :
- Washington State Jewish Archives (University of Washington)