Richard Waterman radio shows recordings, 1955-1956 PDF
- Waterman, Richard Alan, 1914-1971
- Richard Waterman radio shows recordings
- 1955-1956 (inclusive)19551956
- 4 audiotapes : OT - 4 reels (7.5 ips, 7"): (94-3.1-2 are 1/2 tr. stereo; 94-3.3-4 are 1/2 tr. mono recorded one side only); Duration: 2:00:00
- Collection Number
- Tapes of radio shows produced by ethnomusicologist Richard Waterman and aired on Station WFMT in Chicago, IL.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Richard Alan Waterman was a noted American ethnomusicologist and anthropologist. He taught at Northwestern University in Chicago, IL from 1943-1956. Additionally, he was a visiting professor at the University of Washington in Seattle, WA in 1953 and 1954. He continued to teach at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI until 1968 and then at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL.
Waterman's main areas of interest included jazz music and jazz musicians, as well as studies into the music of Cuba, West Africa, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, and Brazil.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
94-3.1 contains field no. JS 22a, discussion and examples of Afro-Cuban music, "Jazz Sessions" broadcast of 11/4/55. Performers: Regla Cuban cult drumming; Chico Ofaril; Chico Hamilton Trio. Duration 30:00.
94-3.2 contains JS 21a, gospel music and interview with George Ricks, 8/17/56. Performers: Spirit of Memphis; South Carolina Sea Island Choir; congregation choir. Duration 31:31.
94-3.3 contains JS 18a, 2/25/56 interview with Moses Asch. Duration 30:00.
94-3.4 contains JS 18b, off-air continuation of discussion with Moses Asch, with William Bascomb in the background and occasional clinking of bottles and glasses. Duration 28:00.
Documentation: Hand-written 3 x 5 file cards.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- African Americans--North America--Regional and Ethnic Cultures
- African Americans--Southern States
- Afro-Cuban Music
- Choirs (Music)
- Drums (Musical instruments)
- Gospel Music
- Gospel musicians
- Corporate Names :
- WFMT (Radio station : Chicago, Ill.)
- Geographical Names :
- United States
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Radio programs
- Sound Recordings