Asklepiads Pre-Med Society records, 1929-1983 PDF
- Asklepiads Pre-Med Society
- Asklepiads Pre-Med Society records
- 1929-1983 (inclusive)19291983
- 0.25 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- UA 207
- The Asklepiads Pre-Med Society is a student-run organization at the University of Oregon open to all students interested in the medical field. The collection (1929-1983) contains meeting minutes, ritual, photographs, and treasurer's reports.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The modern Asklepiads Pre-Med Society is a student-run organization at the University of Oregon open to all students interested in the medical field. The UO honorary society was founded by pre-medical students in 1929, and they selected the name themselves, and Professor Huestis as their first advisor.
The student council granted a charter to the organization in 1930. Women were not allowed to be members until 1970, when the first female members were initiated.
In October 1935, the group made arrangements with a local doctor (Dr. Hurley) to observe an operation each week. An organized preceptorship program was started in 1973.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes one record notebook and one secretary/treasurer's book.
The record notebook (1929-1944) is organized by school year and includes minutes, ritual, roll call, treasurer's reports, membership information, and a few photographs and clippings. Included here is a record of the founding meeting.
The secretary/treasurer's book (1957-1983) is organized by date, and contains event, meeting, and transaction information. Included are minutes, a recording of fee's and special donations, financial reports, membership information, and a photograph.
The photographs are either pasted to pages, or loose inside the books.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Asklepiads Pre-Med Society records, UA 207, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Medical education--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Premedical education--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Student activities--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Corporate Names :
- Asklepiads Pre-Med Society--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon--Students--Societies, etc
- Form or Genre Terms :