David Levine photograph collection, approximately 1930-1962 PDF
- Levine, David, 1883-1972
- David Levine photograph collection
- approximately 1930-1962 (inclusive)19301962
- 15 photographic prints and 14 pieces of ephemera ( 1 box) ; sizes vary
- Collection Number
- Photographs of David Levine and photographs from an album made for Levine's retirement appreciation dinner which includes images of Levine with City officials and views of the Ross and Diablo Dams. There are also letters to Levine from politicians upon his retirement.
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Entire collection can be viewed on the Libraries' Digital Collections website. Permission of Visual Materials Curator is required to view originals. Contact Special Collections for more information.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
David Levine (1883-1972) was born March 18, 1883 in Kiev, and immigrated to Seattle in 1900. He was very active in the city government of Seattle from 1931 until his retirement in April 1962. During his 31 years on the city council, Levine served as Council President for a cumulative total of more than a decade. He was very active in public works projects, especially those of Seattle City Light. The Skagit Hydroelectric Project, which David Levine supported, was a series of dams that currently creates electricity for the city of Seattle. The project began in the early 1920s and continued until 1961. David Levine died May 9, 1972.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Photographs of David Levine and photographs from an album made for Levine's retirement appreciation dinner which includes images of Levine with City officials and views of the Ross and Diablo Dams. There are also letters to Levine from politicians upon his retirement.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries for details.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Photographs of David LevineReturn to Top
David Levine seated at desk
Photographer: M.V. Board, Fremont, Washington
Photographs presented to David Levine at retirement dinner, 1962Return to Top
Photographs were presented in an album but the album itself does not exist. The order in the album was retained.
Aerial view of Ross Dam
: Hand colored
Aerial view of Diablo Dam and Diablo Lake
: Hand colored
Letters to David Levine upon his retirement and menu of retirement dinner, 1962Return to Top
These letters probably came with the Retirement album.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- City council members--Washington (State)--Seattle--Archives
- City council members--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Dams--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Ukrainian Americans--Washington (State)--Seattle--Archives
- Ukrainian Americans--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Visual Materials Collections (University of Washington)
- Personal Names :
- Levine, David, 1883-1972--Archives
- Levine, David, 1883-1972--Photographs
- Corporate Names :
- Seattle (Wash.). City Council--Photographs
- Geographical Names :
- Diablo Dam (Wash.)--Photographs
- Ross Dam (Wash.)--Photographs