National Rural Studies Committee Records, 1986-1999 PDF
- National Rural Studies Committee (U.S.)
- National Rural Studies Committee Records
- 1986-1999 (inclusive)19861999
- 5 cubic feet, including 9 photographs, (5 boxes)
- Collection Number
- RG 246
- The National Rural Studies Committee Records document the programs and activities of this project to promote scholarship in rural studies. The National Rural Studies Committee was established at Oregon State University in 1987 with a 5-year grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and was led by Oregon State faculty member Emery N. Castle.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Established in 1987 with a 5-year grant from the W. K. Kellogg Foundation, the National Rural Studies Committee (NRSC) was led by Oregon State University faculty member Emery N. Castle as a part of the Western Rural Development Center at OSU. The NRSC was charged to encourage scholarship nationwide on topics relating to rural development. Subsequent grants were received from the Kellogg Foundation in 1991 and 1995 to continue the Committee's work. Among the impacts made by the NRSC include the establishment of multidisciplinary graduate degree programs in rural studies, publication of a directory of rural studies scholars, and stimulating the creation of the National Rural Poverty Task Force. A final report of the Committee's work was prepared and submitted in 1997.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The National Rural Studies Committee Records document the programs and activities of this project to promote scholarship in rural studies. The records include articles, conference proceedings, correspondence, course materials, curriculum vitae, grant proposals, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, publications, reports, and speeches. The materials document the scholarship and participation of Committee members and Center Associates, annual meetings of the NRSC, related organizations, and publications on rural studies. The photographs include portrait photographs of Committee members and one group photograph.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
National Rural Studies Committee Records (RG 246), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Rural development--United States--Congresses.
- Sociology, Rural--United States.
- Corporate Names :
- Western Rural Development Center.
- Geographical Names :
- United States--Rural conditions--Congresses.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Castle, Emery N. (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation. (creator)