UW Ethnomusicology Archives video recordings: UW Center For Asian Arts recordings: Demo: Mandinka Drumming, 1974-07 PDF
- UW CCTV; UW Center For Asian Arts
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives video recordings: UW Center For Asian Arts recordings: Demo: Mandinka Drumming
- 1 videotapes : EC - 1 vct (VHS, color); Duration: 00:33:00
- Collection Number
- Studio session recorded at the University of Washington, 7/74; sponsored by Dr. Robert Kauffman & Dr. Roderic Knight, UW Center for Asian Arts.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives has been collecting and curating unique ethnographic music recordings for over 50 years. Its holdings of more than 15,000 items include field recordings documenting music traditions of all kinds from most areas of the world, concert recordings of visiting musicians, and films and videos of a variety of musical events, as well as several hundred musical instruments. The Archives serves the students and faculty in the UW Ethnomusicology Program, the broader university community, Pacific Northwest tribes, and an international clientele of musicians, students, and teachers.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Archives copy is dub of original videotape held in OUGL (1 vct, 33 min., color, 3/4 in.)
Performers: Bakary Marong/singer, dancer, drummer; Nyorta Monneh/dancer, singer; Laura Chew & Daniel Colvin/student drummers; Maury ("Moe") Herman/interviewer.
Contents: 1) Drum instruction & study (Herman asking Marong questions about drums & drum strokes, 2) Drumming demonstration directed by Bakary Marong.
Produced by Maury Herman.
Transcriptions of headers: Mandinka drumming: basic introduction and demonstration featuring Bakary Marong, singer, dancer, drummer, Gambia, West Africa / Sponsored by Dr. Robert Kauffman, Dr. Roderic Knight / UW, Center for Asian Arts, Ethnomusicology Dept.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- West Africa
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Herman, Maury (performer)
- Marong, Bakary (performer)