Gamma Phi Beta Sorority Photographs, 1918-1963 PDF
- Gamma Phi Beta. Chi Chapter (Oregon State University)
- Gamma Phi Beta Sorority Photographs
- 1918-1963 (inclusive)19181963
- 0.25 cubic foot, including 6 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 277
- The Gamma Phi Beta Sorority Photographs consist of images of the sorority's members and houses in Corvallis, Oregon. The Oregon State chapter of Gamma Phi Beta was established in 1915 as a local club and became a chapter of the national sorority in 1918.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Oregon State University chapter of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority was founded in 1915 as the Beta Tau Beta Club in Waldo Hall, the residence hall for women. It became one of the first local sororities at Oregon Agricultural College in 1916. Two years later, in 1918, the sorority affiliated with the Gamma Phi Beta national organization and became the Chi Chapter. The Oregon State chapter disbanded in 1997.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Gamma Phi Beta Sorority Photographs include two images of the sorority's members and four images of the sorority's houses in Corvallis. Oregon. The photographs of the sorority's members include a 1918 group photograph of the members on the steps of their house and a print comprised of individual portrait images of the Class of 1918 members of the sorority. Both of these images are in original period frames and most of the women are identified.
The images of the sorority's houses depict the group's first house at 15th and Adams; the Kline House at 244 South Fourth Street (Fourth and Jefferson); and the Foster House at 238 South Eighth Street (Eighth and Jefferson), which was purchased by the sorority in 1920. This house was remodeled and enlarged in 1936 and the address changed to 811 Jefferson Street. It was sold in 1961 and currently houses the OSU Center for the Humanities. The collection includes images of this house before and after the 1936 remodel.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Gamma Phi Beta Sorority Photographs (P 277), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies and clubs.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.