Educational Opportunity Services records, 1964-1977 PDF
- Educational Opportunity Services records
- 1964-1977 (inclusive)19641977
- 5.5 linear feet, (7 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 160
- Educational Opportunity Services was created in 1964 and provided opportunities and educational access for students that were considered educationally disadvantaged. The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this service, and may include records from the Native American Program, Project 75, Sesamex, Upward Bound, High School Equivalency Program, and/or Project Connection.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Originally, Educational Opportunity Services (EOS) was comprised of six separate programs: Upward Bound, the High School Equivalency Program, Project 75, Project Connection, Sesamex and the Native American Program.
In the early 1960's, Project 75, Project Connection, Sesamex and the Native American Program merged into the Student Educational Program while Upward Bound and the High School Equivalency Program remained separate entities.
Then, in 1964 the program was reorganized because of communication problems and became Educational Opportunity Services. The goal of the EOS was to provide opportunities and educational access for educationally disadvantaged students.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this service. Boxes may include records from the Native American Program, Project 75, Sesamex, Upward Bound, High School Equivalency Program, and/or Project Connection.
Collection is organized by accession and includes the following material:
Accession 1996.350.A: Correspondence and miscellaneous office files, 1973-1975.
Accession 1996.368.A: Office files including correspondence, special education programs, and meeting minutes, 1964-1967.
Accession 1996.370.A: Office files including correspondence, retreat records, newspaper clippings, audiotapes and Office of Supportive Services files, 1969-1977.
Accession 10796.A: Project 75 records, meeting minutes, grant proposals, newsletters, material on the Black Student Union, Upward Bound, Supportive Services, and the Equivalency Program, 1968-1975.
Accession 1996.268.A: General office files, appendices, synopsis and recommendations, 1975-1976.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Educational Opportunity Services records, UA 160, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Children with social disabilities--Education--Oregon--Eugene
- College students--Oregon--Eugene--Social conditions
- Minorities--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Minority college students--Oregon--Eugene--Social conditions
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon. Educational Opportunity Services--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. Upward Bound
- University of Oregon--Students
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Office files