• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs, 1938-1971

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Oregon State University. Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife.
Title
Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs
Dates
1938-1971 (inclusive)
1948-1969 (bulk)
Quantity
0.3 cubic foot, including 400 photographs, (1 box)
Collection Number
P 179
Summary
The Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs consist of images taken and assembled by the department that document fisheries and wildlife students, faculty, teaching, and research at Oregon State University, especially the research activities of the Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit.
Repository
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections & Archives Research Center
Special Collections & Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
Corvallis OR
97331-4501
Telephone: 541-737-2075
Fax: 541-737-8674
scarc@oregonstate.edu
Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Languages
English

Historical NoteReturn to Top

The Fish, Game and Fur Animal Management Department was created in 1935 under the jurisdiction of the School of Agriculture. Roland E. Dimick was the first department chair, a position he held until 1963. The department operated the OSC Experimental Fur Farm from 1937 to 1957 and also established field stations on Protection and Eliza Islands in Puget Sound and a fisheries lab at Yaquina, Oregon. The department's name was changed to Fish and Game Management in 1936, and in 1964 was renamed Fisheries and Wildlife. Thomas G. Scott was department chair from 1963 to 1972.

The Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit was established in 1935 as a cooperative venture between the U.S. Biological Survey, the American Wildlife Institute, the Oregon State Game Commission, and Oregon State College. Arthur Einarson, U.S. Biological Survey research biologist, served as Unit Leader from 1935 to 1957, directing its graduate training and research programs. The unit was discontinued in 1961.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs consist of images taken or assembled by the department that document students and faculty as well as the teaching and research programs in fisheries and wildlife. The bulk of the photographs were separated from the Fisheries and Wildlife Department Records (RG 190) and include photographs of big game field trips conducted by the department; a fish pond field day in Jefferson County in 1968; and several Oregon Cooperative Wildife Research Unit projects.

The big game field trip photographs are primarily group photographs of the students and faculty that participated in the annual trips; they also depict locations visited during the trips as well as guest leaders. The fish pond field day was sponsored by the Extension Service for a group of third graders at the Roy Stevenson farm in Jefferson County; the students may include Native American children from Warm Springs.

The Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit photographs depict projects pertaining to waterfowl, pheasants, duck and geese hunting, and antelope.

The collection also includes images of Fisheries and Wildlife alumnus Don Carr receiving the Distinguished Service Cross in 1971; Thomas G. Scott, department chair, presenting an award for best paper at the Oregon Wildlife Society meeting to Eleanor Horvitz; and a field trip to the Murderer's Creek deer range.

The collection consists predominantly of b/w prints and negatives; there are a few color prints included.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Preferred Citation

Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs (P 179), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top