Washington State University Museum of Anthropology: Lucullus McWhorter Collection Administrative Records, circa 1959-1999  PDF  XML

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Washington State University. Museum of Anthropology.
Title
Washington State University Museum of Anthropology: Lucullus McWhorter Collection Administrative Records
Dates
circa 1959-1999 (inclusive)
Quantity
.5 Linear feet of shelf space, (1 Box)
Collection Number
Archives 261 (collection)
Summary
This collection consists of photographic slides, collection inventory information, reports, and supporting documentation for the Lucullus McWhorter artifact collection held by the Museum of Anthropology, Washington State University.
Repository
Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
Pullman WA
99164-5610
Telephone: 509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu
Access Restrictions

This collection is open and available for research use.

Languages
English


Historical NoteReturn to Top

The Museum of Anthropology, Washington State University, is a federal archaeological repository and contains both ethnographic and archaeological research collections.

The museum had its beginnings in 1894 when Charles R. Conner, president of the Board of Regents of what was then Washington State College, acquired 2 "carloads" of museum specimens while attending the Chicago World's Fair. These items were combined with other materials on campus to form the core of the Washington State College Museum of Natural History.

During 1949-1950, the Natural History Museum was divided by discipline, and anthropological specimens were transferred to the Department of Anthropology. Some of the ethnographic materials were in display cases in Todd Hall on campus from 1951 to 1963, but most were placed in storage in the Todd basement. In 1963, the displayed materials were also put in storage.

All these materials remained in storage until September 1968, when they were transferred to the new Museum of Anthropology in the neighboring building, Johnson Tower. Most historic artifacts held by the anthropology department were transferred to "well-established historical collections in the Northwest Region" in accordance with a directive from the university president.

The museum in Johnson Tower was extensively remodeled in 1975. In 1984 the museum (along with all the branches of the anthropology department) moved to its current space in College Hall. Currently, the public area of the museum is 2,500 square feet, with a preparation room and an environmentally controlled storage vault equipped with a "movable aisle" storage system.

(Source: Washington State University Museum of Anthropology website, "History of the Museum".)

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

This collection consists of photographic slides, collection inventory information, reports, and supporting documentation for the Lucullus McWhorter artifact collection held by the Museum of Anthropology, Washington State University.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Alternative Forms Available

Selected images from this collection have been digitized and can be found online in the Lucullus V. McWhorter Digital Collection.

Restrictions on Use

Copyright restrictions may apply.

Preferred Citation

[Item Description]

Washington State University Museum of Anthropology: Lucullus McWhorter Collection Administrative Records (UA 261)

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top

Arrangement

These materials have been arranged in a single series.

Acquisition Information

The administrative records of the Lucullus McWhorter artifact collection were transferred to the University Archives from the Museum of Anthropology in 2005.

Processing Note

This collection was processed in 2006 by Cheryl Gunselman.

Related Materials

The artifacts described and depicted in these records are held by the Museum of Anthropology, College Hall, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

Lucullus Virgil McWhorter Papers, 1848-1945 (Cage 55)

Lucullus Virgil McWhorter Photographs, circa 1868-1950 (PC 85)

Andrew James Edmiston Collection of Lucullus V. McWhorter Ephemera, circa 1941 (Cage 5131)


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

Container(s) Description
Box Folder
1 1 "The McWhorter Collection: A History and Current Location Assessment," Mary Collins, Museum of Anthropology, 1997
1 2 Collection appraisal report, Pawel Racza Gallery, 1999
1 3 Catalog cards (photocopies), Museum of Anthropology, circa 1959
1 4 Unidentified cards and descriptive information, including drawings (photocopies), National Park Service, undated
1 5-6 Artifact labels, undated
1 7 Catalog cards, National Park Service, 1967-1968
1 8 News clippings (about McWhorter collection), 1991-1996
1 9 Slides; 1984, 1986

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

Subject Terms

  • Indians of North America -- Idaho.

Personal Names

  • McWhorter, Lucullus Virgil, 1860-1944.

Corporate Names

  • Washington State University. Museum of Anthropology -- Records and correspondence.