Preliminary Guide to the Arlen D. Davison Papers, 1971-1993 PDF
- Davison, Arlen D. (Arlen Durant)Davison, Arlen D. (Arlen Durant)
- Preliminary Guide to the Arlen D. Davison Papers
- 1971-1993 (inclusive)19711993
- 4 linear feet, (4 boxes.)
- Collection Number
- This collection contains professional papers of Arlen D. Davison.
- Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Dr. Arlen Durant Davison was born on October 27, 1932. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Agronomy (1955) and Master of Science degree in Plant Pathology (1956) from the University of Wyoming, and a Ph.D. in Plant Pathology from Oregon State University (1962). Davison worked as the Extension Plant Pathologist at the University of Arizona from 1963 to 1967, before coming to Washington State University where his research focused on agricultural industries and urban gardening problems of western Washington. During Davison's time at WSU, he worked with the Western Washington Research and Extension Center (WWREC) in Puyallup, serving as the WWREC Superintendent and as Assistant Dean of the College of Agriculture and Home Economics (for the Puyallup, Mt. Vernon, Vancouver, and Long Beach units of WSU). Davison also served as the State Extension Agriculture and Natural Resource Program Leader in 1973, as a legislative liaison to the Washington State legislature from 1986 to 1999, and on the Washington State Agricultural Pesticide Advisory Board. Dr. Davison established a Plant Disease Clinic with Dr. Roy Davison, helped found the Master Gardeners' clinics and volunteer program, and was the Chairman of the Department of Plant Pathology at WSU from 1981 to 1986. In addition to several academic journal articles and nearly a hundred extension publications, Davison co-authored the book How to Identify Rhododendron and Azalea Problems. He retired from WSU in 1995, but returned in 1997 to serve as interim Associate Director of the Agricultural Research Center.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains professional papers of Arlen D. Davison. The collection consists of papers connected to his work with Washington State University Cooperative Extension (reports and research), and the Department of Plant Pathology. Ir also contains correspondence (including responses by Dr. Davison to public inquiries about horticulture).
Box 1: Correspondence in connection to the Extension Office, primarily responses by Davison to public inquiries about horticulture, 1971-1977.
Box 2: Correspondence and papers pertaining to Extension Office services, reports, and research, and the Department of Plant Pathology 1978, 1986-1989.
Box 3: Correspondence and papers pertaining to Extension Office and the Department of Plant Pathology, 1989-1992.
Box 4. Correspondence and papers pertaining to Extension Office and the Department of Plant Pathology 1993.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Agricultural extension work--Research--Washington (State)--Archives
- Agricultural extension work--Washington (State)--History--Sources
- Gardening--United States--History--Sources
- Horticulture--Research--Washington (State)
- Horticulture--Washington (State)--Societies, etc.--Records and correspondence.
- Washington State University--Faculty--Archives
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Davison, Arlen D. (Arlen Durant) (fmo)