• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records, George W. Loggie Papers, 1886-1978

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Whatcom Falls Mill Company; Loggie, George W.
Title
Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records, George W. Loggie Papers
Dates
1886-1978 (inclusive)
1895-1940 (bulk)
Quantity
9 linear ft.
Collection Number
XOE_CPNWS0009wfallsmill (collection)
Summary
The collection contains administrative, financial and operational records, maps and drawings and photographs documenting the business interests of the Whatcom Falls Mill company and also information relating to other regional lumber mills. Personal papers and photographs further document the business and other interests of the George W. Loggie family.
Repository
Western Washington University, Heritage Resources
Center for Pacific Northwest Studies
Goltz-Murray Building
808 25th St
Bellingham, WA
98225-9123
Telephone: 360-650-7747
Heritage.Resources@wwu.edu
Access Restrictions

The collection is open to the public.

Languages
English.

Find Related CollectionsReturn to Top


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Whatcom Falls Mill Company was located on Bellingham Bay, in the northwestern corner of Washington State. The mill, located on Whatcom Creek in Bellingham, was originally the Washington Colony Mill, positioned on a site established by Henry Roeder and J.E. Peabody in 1853. In 1895, George W. Loggie, along with his brother James A. Loggie, rented the Washington Colony Mill, creating the Whatcom Falls Mill Company.

George W. Loggie and Samuel J. Knight filed papers for incorporation of Whatcom Falls Mill Company 28 October 1895. The mill specialized in Western Red Cedar and manufactured a variety of products including bevel siding, sash and doors, and lumber. A new plant, built in 1903 at the bottom of “G” Street, eventually produced only red cedar lumber and shingles. The company shipped its product all over the world by rail and water.

Loggie formed a partnership with Pat McCoy of Seattle, who had large timber holdings in the Kulshan district. The McCoy-Loggie Timber Company, formed in 1910, had McCoy as its President with Loggie as Secretary and Treasurer. The McCoy-Loggie Timber Company supplied the Whatcom Falls Mill with lumber until the Timber Company dissolved in 1926.

The management of the mill was largely a family affair. G.W. Loggie was President until his death in 1922. Upon his death, Loggie’s brother, James, assumed the roll until 1933. D.H. Lowery, son-in-law of George, became President in 1933, serving until the company filed dissolution papers on June 22, 1940.

George W. Loggie was born 22 June 1851 near Loggieville, New Brunswick, Canada. In 1879, he came out west and began an extensive career in the logging business, working at mills along the Puget Sound as well as in Oregon. Oregon mills were located in cities such as Portland and Coos Bay, where he spent time as general manager for the large Southern Oregon Company. Washington mills include the Puget Sound Mill Company at Utsaladdy and Port Gamble. Loggie eventually became superintendent of the Utsaladdy plant. He also worked in Seattle, and established mills in Snohomish and Port Angeles in 1893.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records and George W. Loggie Papers span the years 1886 to 1978, with the bulk of the material dated 1895-1940. The collection primarily documents the story of Whatcom Falls Mill Company. The remaining papers focus on Loggie's personal life. Little is known as to how the collection arrived at the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies; however, it is clearly a compilation of records from many facets of Loggie’s life. Few of the personal papers are truly family oriented, and focus instead, on Loggie’s other business interests prior to the creation of Whatcom Falls Mill Company.

The first series of papers documents the business activities of Whatcom Falls Mill Company from its incorporation in 1895 to its dissolution in 1940. Included are administrative and financial records, correspondence, operations information, maps and drawings, and various advertising materials, including a business envelope with a picture of the original mill, and business cards printed on cedar. Included in this series are several records relating to the McCoy-Loggie Timber Company. While not a subsidiary company, the Timber Company supplied lumber to the mill, and records from both companies appear to have been kept together. Enriching The Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records are photographs of Whatcom Falls Mill, including a photo of a drawing of the original mill, two Brubaker aerial surveys, and one Sandison aerial survey.

Separate from both the Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records and the George W. Loggie Papers is information included on other regional lumber mills. This information, collected after Loggie's death in 1922, bears no immediate connections to Whatcom Falls Mill. It was possibly collected in order to assess the competition of other regional mills. Included in this series is information on the Bloedel-Donovan Lumber Mill, as well as Wood & English Limited.

The remainder of the collection focuses on personal materials of the Loggie family, and in particular, the business activities of George W. Loggie prior to his work with Whatcom Falls Mill Company. Included is early correspondence of George W. Loggie, primarily with regard to his previous mill experience in Oregon; papers, a ledger, and booklets that document G.W. Loggie’s interest in Trotting Horses; copies of the certificate of Registry of the Schooner Vigilant; a Family Expense Ledger (dated after G.W. Loggie’s death); and family photos. Also included are photographs of other mills, as well as those depicting various aspects of logging and milling operations. Some of these photos date to the 1880s and 1890s. Identified mills include Bloedel-Donovan, as well as other mills on Bellingham Bay, the Olympic Peninsula, and mills near the Cascade Mountains. The Family Expense Ledger, page 151, contains genealogical material of interest regarding the Lowery family.

The following items are of special note: Materials regarding the Lumber and Sawmill Workers Union and Whatcom Falls Mill Company, including correspondence and newspaper clippings dealing with the workers' strike in 1937; a 1914 Kroll Atlas section map showing McCoy land as well as other lumber and mill company property; an 1887 Map Guide to the City of Seattle, Washington Territory surveyed by Whitworth and Thomson which was probably a real estate map; and a December 10, 1895 copy of the newspaper Daily Reveille.

The artifacts in this collection include a wallet owned by George W. Loggie, and Volume VI of the 14-volume set of Hough’s American Woods is also part of this collection. Romeyn Beck Hough wrote and published the set between 1888 and 1928. Each volume consists of twenty-five species of trees specific to a particular part of the United States. Volume VI represents trees of the Pacific Slope. Actual wood samples of each tree are included; cut in thin sections to show the various planes of the wood (transverse, radial, and tangential sections).

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Preferred Citation

Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records and George W. Loggie Papers, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies, Heritage Resources, Western Washington University, Bellingham WA 98225-9123.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

Series I:   Whatcom Falls Mill Company Records , 1895-1941Return to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Sub-series 1: Administrative Records
1895-1941
Box/Folder
1/1
Advertising
1896-1932
1/2
Articles of Incorporation & By-Laws
1895 (By-Laws amended in 1937)
1/3
Company History
1937
Correspondence
Box/Folder
1/4
Incoming
1895-1941
1/5
Outgoing
1933-1939
Box/Folder
1/6
Daily Reports
October 1, 1938 – March 27, 1939
1/7
Materials re. Dissolution of Company
1940-1941
1/8
Materials re. Relations between Whatcom Falls Mill and Lumber & Sawmill Workers Union
1936-1938
1/9
Minutes of special and annual meetings
1910-1939
Volume
1
Ledger of minutes of special and annual meetings
1939-1940
Box/Folder
1/10
Minutes of special and annual meetings from organization to dissolution of the McCoy-Loggie Timber Co.
November 30, 1910 – April 20, 1926
Sub-series 2: Financial Records
1895-1939
Box/Folder
2/1
Financial Reports
1902-1926
2/2
Financial Reports
1929-1931
2/3
Financial Reports
1932-1939
2/4
Payroll information
1918-1939
2/5
Report of Audit – Whatcom Falls Mill and McCoy-Loggie Timber Co.
1920 December 31
2/6
Reports of Audits – Whatcom Falls Mill
1931-1937
2/7
Stock Certificates: Whatcom Falls Mill, McCoy-Loggie Timber Co., Whatcom County Agriculture, and Whatcom County Fair Association
1895-1924
Sub-series 3: Operations
1889-1937
Box/Folder
2/8
Manufacturing Statement
1912
2/8
Operations Reference cards
1928-1937
2/9
Reference Materials: Schedule of Prices, Standard Grading and Dressing Rules for West Coast Lumber, Valuations of Lumber Manufacturing Properties
1889-1934
2/10
West Coast Price List of Lumber
1921
Sub-series 4: Maps and Drawings
1914-1934
OversizeFolder
1
Blueprint of Proposed New Fire Mains for Whatcom Falls Mill
1934
Box/Folder
3/1
Map: Kroll’s Atlas of Whatcom Co., T.38 N R. 5E
1914
3/2
Survey of Proposed Layout of Mains and Hydrants
1928
Sub-series 5: Photographs
circa 1890-1934
Box/Folder
3/3
Brubaker Aerial Survey of Whatcom Falls Mill
undated
OversizeFolder
2
McCoy-Loggie Timber Company train engine (framed)
undated
Box/Folder
3/4
Sandison Aerial Survey of Whatcom Falls Mill
undated
3/5
Whatcom Falls Mill Photographs
1890s-1934

Series II:   Regional Mill Information, 1919-1939Return to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder
4/1
Bloedel-Donovan Lumber Mill
1919-1933
4/2
Wood and English Limited, Vancouver, B.C.
1934-1939

Series III:   G.W. Loggie Papers, 1880s-1978Return to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Sub-series 1: Personal Papers
1884-1978
Box/Folder
4/3
Copies of Certificate of Registry for Schooner Vigilant
1920
Volume
2
Family Expense Ledger
1938-1978
OversizeFolder
3
Guide Map of the City of Seattle, Washington Territory, Whitworth and Thompson – Surveyors
1887
Box/Folder
4/4
Ledger of Horses purchased by G.W. Loggie
1884-1891
4/5
Materials re. Interest and investments in Trotting Horses
1890-1895
4/6
Materials re. Employment with Southern Oregon Co., Empire Mill
1886-1890
4/7
Newspaper, Daily Reveille
December 10, 1895
4/8
Obituary of G.W. Loggie
March 25, 1922
4/9
Personal Correspondence (Incoming)
1897-1907
Sub-series 2: Photographs
circa 1880-1950s
Box/Folder
4/10
Loggie Family Photos, USS Constitution, Mt. Baker
circa 1900-1934
4/11
Logging operations in Washington State (taken from a scrapbook)
circa 1910-1920s
4/12
Mills outside of Washington State
circa 1880s-1890s
4/13
Washington State Mills
circa 1880s-1950s
5/1
Coos Bay, Oregon
circa 1890s
5/2
Coos Bay, Oregon, Old Mill
circa 1890s
5/3
Goodyear Logging Co., Clallam Bay, Washington
circa 1890s-1900s
5/4
Lumber Mill, Coos Bay, Oregon – Coos Bay Photo and Crayon Co.
undated
5/5
Old Mill
1890s
5/6
USS Constitution in Bellingham Bay
1933

Series IV:  Artifacts, 1885, undatedReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder
5/7
Hough’s American Woods Volume VI
1885
5/8
Wallet belonging to G.W. Loggie
undated