Oral history interview with Isaac Azose, 2014 PDF
- Azose, Isaac
- Oral history interview with Isaac Azose
- 2014 (inclusive)20142014
- Originals as received: 1 digital audio file (WAV format) and 1 computer file (transcript)
- Collection Number
- 5867 (Accession No. 5867-001)
- Oral history of Isaac Azose
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Isaac Azose was born in Seattle to parents from two prominent Sephardic families, the Azoses and the Maimons. He became the cantor (hazzan) at Congregation Ezra Bessaroth, a position he held for more than thirty years. He is also responsible for publishing Hebrew-English Sephardic siddurim which are used in Sephardic congregations around the world.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
In this interview Isaac Azose discusses his Turkish Sephardic family history, childhood, service in the Air Force, and career at Boeing. He also discusses his role as hazzan (cantor) at Congregation Ezra Bessaroth and his efforts to compile and publish Hebrew-English Sephardic siddurim (prayer books). Lastly, he discusses his musical recordings and concerts and his work with Ladino in Seattle.
Other Descriptive InformationReturn to Top
Forms part of the Washington State Jewish Archives.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Creator's literary rights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Listen to the audio recording and view the transcript of this interview on the Libraries Digital Collections site.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Cantors (Church music)--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Jewish men--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Personal Names :
- Azose, Isaac--Interviews
- Corporate Names :
- Congregation Ezra Bessaroth (Seattle, Wash.)
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Washington State Jewish Archives (University of Washington)