Alpha Tau Omega. Oregon Gamma Phi Chapter records, 1954-1966 PDF
- Alpha Tau Omega. Gamma Phi Chapter (University of Oregon)
- Alpha Tau Omega. Oregon Gamma Phi Chapter records
- 1954-1966 (inclusive)19541966
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 146
- The social fraternity Alpha Tau Omega was founded in 1865 at the Virginia Military Institute, and the Oregon Gamma Phi chapter was founded in 1910 and was closed in 2000. The collection contains historical information, pledge song information, and issues of the chapter publication, The Bumper, 1954-1966.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The social fraternity Alpha Tau Omega was founded in 1865 by Otis Allan Glazebrook at the Virginia Military Institute "for the purpose of making a fraternal organization of young men, of a national character and entirely free from partisan or sectional bias." Glazebrook was a Virginian who fought for the Confederacy and who dreamed of a fraternal organization where members would "know no North, no South, no East, no West."
The University of Oregon Gamma Phi chapter was founded in 1910 and was closed in 2000.
[Source: National alpha Tau Omega website: http://www.ato.org/AlphaTauOmega/atohistory/foundingstory.aspx]
[Source: Fraternity and Sorority life website: http://greeklife.uoregon.edu/upload/files/chapter_founding_information.pdf]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this department.
Collection is organized by accession and includes the following material:
As of 2012 there is only one accession:
Accession 10656.A: Historical information, pledge song information, and issues of the Chapter publication, The Bumper, 1954-1966.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Alpha Tau Omega. Oregon Gamma Phi Chapter records, UA 146, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Corporate Names :
- Alpha Tau Omega. Gamma Phi Chapter (University of Oregon)--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon--Students
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Membership lists