Avard T. Fairbanks Collection, 1911-1981 PDF
- Fairbanks, Avard T. (Avard Tennyson), 1897-1987.
- Avard T. Fairbanks Collection
- 1911-1981 (inclusive)19111981
- 0.1 cubic foot, including 6 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS FairbanksA
- The Avard T. Fairbanks Collection consists of a biography and bibliography of Fairbanks, assembled in 1981 by his son, Eugene Fairbanks. The collection includes brochures, clippings, and articles written by and about Avard Fairbanks. Avard Fairbanks sculpted the Service Memorial in the Oregon State University Memorial Union.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Avard T. Fairbanks was a sculptor and faculty member at the University of Michigan and University of Utah. He sculpted the Service Memorial that honors World War I veterans in the Oregon State University Memorial Union. Avard's brother was J. Leo Fairbanks, Professor of Art and Architecture at Oregon State College from 1923 to 1946.
Avard Fairbanks was born in Provo, Utah, in 1897 and studied sculpture in New York and France before turning 17. He earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Yale University in 1925; he became a faculty member at the University of Michigan's Institute of Fine Arts in 1929 and completed his Master of Fine Arts and a Ph.D. in Anatomy while at Michigan. Fairbanks was appointed Dean of the College of Fine Arts at the University of Utah in 1947, a position he held until his retirement in 1955. In addition to small and large bronzes, marble carvings, medals, and relief panels, Fairbanks designed hood ornaments for Plymouth and Chrysler, including the Dodge ram.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Avard T. Fairbanks Collection consists of a biography, bibliography, and related materials written and assembled by Avard's son, Eugene Fairbanks. The collection includes brochures, clippings, articles written by and about Avard Fairbanks, and several photographs. The materials document Avard Fairbanks' life and work as a sculptor and provide detailed information about his sculptures. The photographs depict several of his works, including an Oregon Centennial relief, Guidance of Youth in Bush Park (Salem, Oregon), a World War I memorial in Jefferson High School (Portland, Oregon), door panels at the U.S. National Bank building in Portland, and the Service Memorial in the Oregon State University Memorial Union. Many of the brochures include published photographs of Fairbanks' other sculptures.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Avard T. Fairbanks Collection (MSS FairbanksA), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Sculpture, American--20th century.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University. Memorial Union.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Fairbanks, Eugene F. (creator)